One Star

log messages aren't getting logged to the file when running via shell script

When I am running the Talend job from the open studio, it is creating a log files and printing the logger in the same. But when I build the job and execute the shell file, it doesn't create the log file. Following is the content of the log file -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE log4j:configuration SYSTEM "log4j.dtd">

<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j='http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/' >

<!--  CONSOLE appender  -->
<appender name="CONSOLE" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
    <layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
        <param name="ConversionPattern"  
            value="[%-5p]: %c - %m%n" />
    </layout>
</appender>

<!-- logstash appender -->
<!-- <appender name="LOGSTASH" class="org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender">
    <param name="RemoteHost" value="localhost"/>
    <param name="Port" value="8052"/>
</appender> -->

<appender name="APPENDER2" class="org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender">
   <param name="File" value="D:\softwares\TOS_BD-20170510_1410-V6.4.0\workspace\logs\customlogs.txt" />
    <param name="MaxFileSize" value="1024KB"/>
    <param name="DatePattern" value="'.'yyyy_MM_dd_HH_mm"/>
   <layout class="org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout">
      <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d{yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss} %-5p %c{1}:%L - %m%n" />
   </layout>
</appender>

<logger name="m2c.entity_filter_copy_0_1">  
    <level value="debug" />  
    <appender-ref ref="CONSOLE"/>
    <appender-ref ref="APPENDER2"/>
</logger>

<!-- throwableRenderer <throwableRenderer class="org.apache.log4j.EnhancedThrowableRenderer"/>--> 

<!-- Root Logger -->  
<!--    <root>
    <priority value ="debug"/>
    <appender-ref ref="CONSOLE"/>
    <appender-ref ref="APPENDER2"/>
     <appender-ref ref="LOGSTASH"/> 
  </root>-->
  </log4j:configuration> 

I have added DailyRollingFileAppender. And following is the content of the shell script -

#!/bin/sh
cd `dirname $0`

ROOT_PATH=`pwd` java -Dlog4jEnabled=true -Xms1024M -Xmx2048M -cp
.:$ROOT_PATH:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/routines.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/advancedPersistentLookupLib-1.0.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/cassandra-driver-core-3.0.0.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/commons-collections-3.2.2.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/dom4j-1.6.1.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/guava-16.0.1.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/jboss-serialization.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/log4j-1.2.15.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/log4j-1.2.16.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/metrics-core-3.1.2.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/mysql-connector-java-5.1.30-bin.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/netty-buffer-4.0.33.Final.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/netty-codec-4.0.33.Final.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/netty-common-4.0.33.Final.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/netty-handler-4.0.33.Final.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/netty-transport-4.0.33.Final.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/slf4j-api-1.7.7.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/talend-cassandra-1.1.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/talendcsv.jar:$ROOT_PATH/../lib/trove.jar:$ROOT_PATH/entity_filter_copy_0_1.jar:
m2c.entity_filter_copy_0_1.entity_filter_Copy --context=Default "$@"

I read somewhere that I need to pass -Dlog4jEnabled=true in the command line to enable log4j, but that didn't work. Does anyone know how to get this done?

1 REPLY
Six Stars

Re: log messages aren't getting logged to the file when running via shell script

Is your log4j.xml file present in same location as your main job jar file?