Six Stars

java.sql.SQLException: ORA-12899: valeur trop grande pour la colonne "TALEND_REC6"."NOT_IMD"."DESCRIPTION" (réelle : 275, maximum : 255)

Hello,

I have a column with a size over 1000, i want to limit the number of characters to 255 so i used this instruction :

StringHandling.LEFT(row1.description,255)

but when i run the job, i got this problem :

tOracleOutput_15 ORA-12899: valeur trop grande pour la colonne "TALEND_REC6"."NOT_IMD"."DESCRIPTION" (réelle : 275, maximum : 255)

I can not understand the 20 characters between 275 and 255.

I try to delete all the characters no-ascii but i got the same result.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Thirteen Stars TRF
Thirteen Stars

Re: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-12899: valeur trop grande pour la colonne "TALEND_REC6"."NOT_IMD"."DESCRIPTION" (réelle : 275, maximum : 255)

Hi,

By default on Oracle side, varchar2 length is measured in bytes (in your case, 255) not in characters.

If there is some characters in the input flow which are encoding using 2 bytes, then the total length in bytes may exceed the max length for the Oracle column.

TRF
Six Stars

Re: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-12899: valeur trop grande pour la colonne "TALEND_REC6"."NOT_IMD"."DESCRIPTION" (réelle : 275, maximum : 255)

hello TRF,

Thanks for your reply.

I added code java to delete the characters no ascii.

description.replaceAll("[^\\x00-\\x7F]", "");

Ridha

3 REPLIES
Thirteen Stars TRF
Thirteen Stars

Hi,

By default on Oracle side, varchar2 length is measured in bytes (in your case, 255) not in characters.

If there is some characters in the input flow which are encoding using 2 bytes, then the total length in bytes may exceed the max length for the Oracle column.

TRF
Six Stars

hello TRF,

Thanks for your reply.

I added code java to delete the characters no ascii.

description.replaceAll("[^\\x00-\\x7F]", "");

Ridha

Thirteen Stars TRF
Thirteen Stars

Great!

Remind this is not a good practice to accept your own solution when other people give you the direction to follow to solve your case.

Edit: thank's Smiley Wink

TRF