One Star

java.lang.NullPointerException when building job

Talend V6.0
I have the following error when I build my job:

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.exportjob.JobScriptsExportWizardPage.finish(JobScriptsExportWizardPage.java:1442)
    at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.exportjob.JavaJobScriptsExportWSWizardPage.finish(JavaJobScriptsExportWSWizardPage.java:1225)
    at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.exportjob.JobScriptsExportWizard.performFinish(JobScriptsExportWizard.java:126)
    at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.finishPressed(WizardDialog.java:853)
    at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.buttonPressed(WizardDialog.java:438)
    at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog$2.widgetSelected(Dialog.java:619)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:248)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.sendEvent(Display.java:4353)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1061)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4172)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3761)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:832)
    at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:808)
    at org.talend.repository.ui.actions.ExportJobScriptAction.doRun(ExportJobScriptAction.java:117)
    at org.talend.repository.ui.actions.AContextualAction$2.run(AContextualAction.java:632)
    at org.talend.repository.RepositoryWorkUnit.executeRun(RepositoryWorkUnit.java:93)
    at org.talend.core.repository.model.AbstractRepositoryFactory.executeRepositoryWorkUnit(AbstractRepositoryFactory.java:256)
    at org.talend.repository.localprovider.model.LocalRepositoryFactory.executeRepositoryWorkUnit(LocalRepositoryFactory.java:3210)
    at org.talend.core.repository.model.ProxyRepositoryFactory.executeRepositoryWorkUnit(ProxyRepositoryFactory.java:1977)
    at org.talend.repository.ui.actions.AContextualAction.run(AContextualAction.java:641)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:519)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:595)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:511)
    at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:420)
    at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$9.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1151)
    at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
    at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1032)
    at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:148)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:636)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:579)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:150)
    at org.talend.rcp.intro.Application.start(Application.java:164)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:380)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:235)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:648)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:603)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1465)
Any idea?
Didier
54 REPLIES
Fifteen Stars

Re: java.lang.NullPointerException when building job

Are you using an Enterprise Edition version of Talend? It looks like this is to do with the JobScript tab (bottom left corner of the workspace). This is a script representation of the job. You can actually use it to make quick and easy copies of jobs and use it to make changes (but only if you know what you are doing). I am guessing that this could be an as yet undiscovered bug as it appears to suggest that this script is null. 
I'd try and Talend restart and then raise this with Talend if it continues.
Rilhia Solutions
One Star

I am using the Data Integration version
Talend Open Studio
Version: 6.0.0.20150702_1326

Fifteen Stars

This looks like a potential bug with Talend V6. I intend to download v6 DI tonight. I will see if I get the same issue
Rilhia Solutions
Community Manager

Hi dihonore,
Would you mind giving some additional details like: java version, OS, 64-bit/32-bit.
Was your Job working fine in a previous version of TOS? If so, how did you import it? What were you trying to do ?
Cheers
Elisa

Hi dihonore,
Did you point it to the JDK folder instead of JRE folder under Talend Window -> Preferences - > Java -> Installed JREs ->?
Please take a look at KB article about:TalendHelpCenter:Requiring a JDK installation to build jobs starting from version 6.0

Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

I tried the 2 paths : "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_51" and "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_51".

Same problem : impossible to build a standalone job !

at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.exportjob.JobScriptsExportWizardPage.finish(JobScriptsExportWizardPage.java:1442)
 at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.exportjob.JavaJobScriptsExportWSWizardPage.finish(JavaJobScriptsExportWSWizardPage.java:1225)
 at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.exportjob.JobScriptsExportWizard.performFinish(JobScriptsExportWizard.java:126)
 at org.talend.repository.ui.actions.ExportJobScriptAction.doRun(ExportJobScriptAction.java:117)
 at org.talend.repository.ui.actions.AContextualAction$2.run(AContextualAction.java:632)
 at org.talend.repository.RepositoryWorkUnit.executeRun(RepositoryWorkUnit.java:93)
 at org.talend.core.repository.model.AbstractRepositoryFactory.executeRepositoryWorkUnit(AbstractRepositoryFactory.java:256)
 at org.talend.repository.localprovider.model.LocalRepositoryFactory.executeRepositoryWorkUnit(LocalRepositoryFactory.java:3210)
 at org.talend.core.repository.model.ProxyRepositoryFactory.executeRepositoryWorkUnit(ProxyRepositoryFactory.java:1977)
 at org.talend.repository.ui.actions.AContextualAction.run(AContextualAction.java:641)
 at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:595)
 at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:511)
 at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:420)
 at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$9.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1151)
 at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1032)
 at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:148)
 at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
 at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:134)
 at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:104)
 at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1438)
One Star

java version "1.8.0_51"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_51-b16)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.51-b03, mixed mode)
Fifteen Stars

Interesting. I cannot build a standalone job either with V6. I don't get that error message, but nothing is produced. I am using the 1.7 JDK at the moment and not the 1.8 version.
Rilhia Solutions
Community Manager

@foquintess: could you try to set it "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_51\jre"
@rhall: can you add \jre at the end of the java path.
It seems that we could reproduce this pb and solved it with that workaround, but I want to make sure this is the same issue.
Cheers
Elisa
Fifteen Stars

Thanks Elisa. That sorted it. I didn't experience any other problems with running the jobs inside the Studio. This only affected me when i tried to build a Standalone job. I only tried that to see if this problem affected me.
Rilhia Solutions
One Star

I used the prefered path C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_51\jre but no change appeared.
Impossible to build a standalone job.
One Star

FYI : system used : ms windows server 2008 standard sp1
I've noticed that when TOS has been launching a message wrote :
"A JDK is required to build jobs.
You can define which JDK to use in Window prefereces>...>installed JREs."
while setting classpath container : Loading org.talend.repository.items.importexport.ui.
Community Manager

@foquintess: have you restarted your Studio before trying again to build your standalone job?
@rhall: you confirm this workaround fixed the "building standalone job" issue, right? (with JDK v7 for you).
Elisa
Fifteen Stars

Yes Elisa, I am now able to produce Standalone jobs using JDK 1.7.
Rilhia Solutions
One Star

A lot of times...
Community Manager

ok. Let me escalate your issue to the R&D team.
Elisa
Employee

Hello,
the problem is logged here: https://jira.talendforge.org/browse/TDI-33318
Happens when use the checkbox "unzip" after build a job.
Means you can simply avoid to use this option unzip, then everything will be ok.
Nicolas
One Star

Release: 6.0.0
Product Build: 6.0.0.20150702_1326
Java version: 1.8
JRE home : C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_51\jre
JRE name : jdk1.8.0_51
Platform: x86-64
Operating System: Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1
2 problems :
- Launching : message asking for right jre as Talend OS is launching
- Building standalone job :
   => java.lang.NullPointerException ERROR after building a standalone job with zip extration option : no job has been built
   => no message after building a standalone job without zip extration option : no job has been built
One Star

No way to build the job with or without the unzip option!!!!!!!
Java SDK 1.8.0.51
One Star

jdk 1.8 64 bits uninstalled, jdk 1.7 64 bits (51-b13)  installed.
JRE home : C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_51\jre
Same problems !
- Wrong java setup when launching
- no standalone job building (null error with unzip option)
One Star

I have uninstalled on the java versions on my PC and reinstalled Java SDK 1.8 32 bits
Same problem!!!
No way to build a job
Is there a special setup for Talend V6 ???
Is it a bug???
One Star

It works only I select Windows as command interpreter
One Star

I have exactly the same problem.
TOS Data integration 6.0.0.20150702_1326
JAVA_HOME = C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_51
Win7 Pro 64bits.
If the R&D needs more information let me know.
Regards
Community Manager

Hi jbourin
I am windows 7 64-bit, and I have installed jdk1.8.0-45-b 15 64-bit, I am able to build the job script after i setup the JDK path as described in this article
Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Hi Shong,
Thank for you help, but this already done.
In v5.6 there is no problem with this.
One Star

Have you reproduced the problem internally ?
I join the log file.
log.log_20150803-1542.log
One Star

No idea ?
Community Manager

Hi Jbourin 
About NPE error, our R&D team have confirmed and fixed this error, see Nicolas's reply:
Hello,
the problem is logged here: https://jira.talendforge.org/browse/TDI-33318
Happens when use the checkbox "unzip" after build a job.
Means you can simply avoid to use this option unzip, then everything will be ok.

Nicolas

Best regards
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Thank you but the build process seems good but when I check the build location, it's empty... No zip file.
I don't understand. I try with admin right and other location (just in case) and still nothing.