input value of any non-nullable primitive field is null, the row of data including that field will be rejected !!

Four Stars

input value of any non-nullable primitive field is null, the row of data including that field will be rejected !!

We have "Nullable" parameter under "edit schema" which help us to check/handle the records having null values for a particular field.

I can understand if input value of any non-nullable primitive field is null, the row of data including that field will be rejected.

Question/Doubt - what's the purpose/utilization of this property for a non-primitive field ?

i.e.. suppose I have a non-nullable field "state" for which i have few records with Null values which i don't want to process further and want to collect it to check later on ? In this case, we can use the tMap and collect those but, what's the use of the "Nullable" property here (in schema) ?

Community Manager

Re: input value of any non-nullable primitive field is null, the row of data including that field will be rejected !!

The nullable option essentially changes the expected value from being a primitive type (not nullable) to a Class (nullable). So, if you are passing an integer to a column, if the column is not nullable it will be treated as an int, if it is nullable it will be treated as an Integer. 

One use of these might be that you have a left outer join in the tMap. Let's say that you are joining to receive an int (primitive). If the join is not met, you will still want the data to be passed on, but you cannot do that if your expected value is primitive for the int. If you select nullable, you can pass null to the column and it will be treated as an Integer. This allows you to carry on with the processing.

2019 GARTNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 1

Learn how to do cool things with Context Variables

Blog

Migrate Data from one Database to another with one Job using the Dynamic Schema

Find out how to migrate from one database to another using the Dynamic schema

Blog

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 4

Pick up some tips and tricks with Context Variables

Blog