One Star

how to output multiple rows from single input row to tJavaRow?

hi,
i have a tJavaRow that scans some input text, and extracts several fields from it.
now i need to be able to parse multiple inputs in the same input field, and output them as several sets of output fields.
for example, lets say i have a code that takes text, and extracts country name and city name into 2 text fields. "paris, france" -> "paris","france".
now i want to be able to give it the text "paris, france and jerusalem, israel", and to process it in the same manner. i would like to get "paris","france" as one row, and then "jerusalem","israel" as a second row.
the logical thing to do is to have the same output schema, just have the tJavaRow output twice, for a single input.
is it possible? if so, how?
3 REPLIES
One Star

Re: how to output multiple rows from single input row to tJavaRow?

Hi,
this is not possible. As a workaround you can use tNormalize.
In your example you could change "paris, france and jerusalem, israel" in a more structured form "paris,france;jerusalem,israel" in tNormalize use ";" as delimiter. You will get two rows with: "paris,france" and "jerusalem,israel". All other columns are unchanged. No use again a tJava (or anything else) to split city and land.
Bye
Volker
One Star

thx.
i know about this way of solution. unfortunatly it is not possible in my real case (the example above is a bit simpler that what i really need).
is it in the roadmap to add such an ability to tJavaRow? i have already found several issues that would be best solved by enabling tJavaRow to have multiple lines of output...
One Star

Hi,
you can search in the BugTracker for it or open a new request.
By the way: If you can give some more information about your job and the data maybe some will have an idea.
Bye
Volker