good way to combine multiple contexts?

One Star

good way to combine multiple contexts?

Problem: I'd like to load and combine multiple contexts of different types in Talend

I have various contexts defined such as evnContext, runContext, clientContext.
For example, suppose i have 4 different clients (A, B, C, D) and 4 different run types (small, medium, large, huge).
These context settings are independent. To configure a single context for each possibility would require 16 contexts.
Is there a "nice" way to combine them in Talend?
In the studio, we can create Contexts. I would create a separate context for each of the above and call these my context_types. Then for each context type, I can configure different instances. Finally, i would need a MetaContext whose fields would be the context types and whose values would be the instances
MetaContext metaconf1 metaconf2
envContext Production_Mac Development_Linux
runContext small huge
clientContext "Spaghetti Soup" "KimJungUn"
Now i can do repeated runs every day for a month for my metaconfs, or change/add a new metaconf as needed.
---------------------------
I have considered joining the sub-contexts into a complete context with something like:
## stone soup approach - add them all and avoid name collisions by convnetion
for context_type in context_types
tLoadContext(getInstanceName(metaconf, context_type)
globalMap.putAll(context)
since globalMap is a java.util.Map()
## or name-mangling approach
As above but so that context.var1 in globalMap(context1) becomes context.context1_var1 .
It would be nice if Talend had some context merge tool, or if some simple components could do the job. So i though i'd ask here first before coding it up. Or see if anyone could suggest a better approach.
thanks,
kesten
One Star

Re: good way to combine multiple contexts?

I know this post started a while back, but I would also like to merge contexts groups.
For example if I set-up 2 db's on my dev environment and save each as a context these end up in different context groups if I try to save to the same context group I get an error.
So I now have 2 context groups that appear to not to talk to each other as if a context within that group is renamed to the same name i.e.
Dev, UAT, Prod.
I then get 2 of these values appearing in the run job context selector...
I'm I doing something fundamentally wrong, is a context group merge possibe, or is this a new feture request?

15TH OCTOBER, COUNTY HALL, LONDON

Join us at the Community Lounge.

Register Now

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 4

Pick up some tips and tricks with Context Variables

Blog

How Media Organizations Achieved Success with Data Integration

Learn how media organizations have achieved success with Data Integration

Read

6 Ways to Start Utilizing Machine Learning with Amazon We Services and Talend

Look at6 ways to start utilizing Machine Learning with Amazon We Services and Talend

Blog