generationManager is not initialized by the perljet/javajet problem

Hello,
I am having a serious problem with TOS-DI 5.2. I've been happily working designing and running jobs over the last several weeks and suddenly today I am getting this error when I try to run my jobs.
generationManager is not initialized by the perljet/javajet
I have tried to find help on this issue. Some of the suggestions is to export the jobs, reinstall and import, starting again.
The problem is that I get the same error when I try to export.
i notice too that all my connections to my DB are going wrong too - saying that it cannot connect to the database (when requesting a schema guess) and I am not sure if this is related.
My project is suppose to go live next week, so I would be very grateful if someone is able to help me.
I can't think of anything that I did that may have caused this other than I did open and cancel the opening of TOS-BD about the time it happened.
Hopefully I have selected the right tags.
Many thanks
Peter
8 REPLIES

Re: generationManager is not initialized by the perljet/javajet problem

Hello,
I have more information about the problem.
One is that I am using 5.2.1 of DI
Over the last couple of days I have had a few situations where Talend DI has locked (running on a Mac workbook) and I had to Quit Process in the Activity Monitor because it wouldn't terminate normally or go out of the not responding state.
The situation in which this was happening was editing the tMap Var area in the middle.
I have been working away from home, so this morning restored my project directory from my last back up and all working fine.
So I started to apply some of my changes. One of them was to add a new column in an SQL Select (a Db Connection for SQL Input) and I pressed the "Guess Schema" button and DI eventually went into a not responding state again. Finally I had to quit the process and my problem returned with the generationManager not initialized. So I had to go back to my restored database again.
So I am not sure why I am getting the not responding problems in these two areas but it now seems like it is the abnormal termination which is corrupting my project (not surprising really).
Is there any knowledge as to why Talend DI is locking during these standard usages (the Var and Guess Schema so far).
Regards
Peter
Community Manager

Hi Peter
It might be a bug on Mac system, if you get the same problem time to time, I suggest you to report a jira issue on our bugtracker, our developers will investigate the problem further.
I have tried to find help on this issue. Some of the suggestions is to export the jobs, reinstall and import, starting again.
The problem is that I get the same error when I try to export.

All the projects are located in <Talend Studio install dir>/workspace/, if you have trouble to export the projects, you can import the project items into another studio by browsing the project folder from 'select root directory' box.
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business

Thank you Shong - I think the problem is actually in the issue that caused DI to lock. I have now installed the latest (5.2.2) and will see if this still locks and report this as a problem if it does.
Regards
Peter
Seventeen Stars

At first: one of the problems with the Guess Schema feature is, this feature does not optimize any parameters for the database connection. E.g. if you try Guess Schema on a large table in MySQL or PostgreSQL you will experience exactly this! Studio hangs and can only be killed and this corrupts your workspace. Unfortunately the newest version of Talend does not solve this issue!
The problem here is not Talend but the JDBC driver which collects all data sets before delivering the first data set to the application.
If you use on of these databases please add a limit 1 expression to the query and do not forgett to remove that after getting the schema.
You should export your project (with Export Items from the mouse context menu over the Job Design node) regulary.
I use Studio on Linux and experiences the same problem, it has nothing to do with the Mac version.
Seventeen Stars

You can fix the Generation Engine problem:
Navigate to your workspace/.JETEmitter/src dir.
1. Delete everything in it but keep this dir.
2. Delete the file <StudioInstallDir>/configuration/ComponentCache.javacache
3. Restart Studio
This should gets your Generator Engine running.

Thank you jlolling, I forgot to subscribe to the topic so now only see the responses (as I had fixed it by a restart from backup).
Also just checking this out, I can't see anything .JETEmitter on my disk (although this was through a finder and spotlight search and maybe (although I am far from an expert) this isn't the way I should be doing this.
Regards
Peter
Seventeen Stars

Yes the Finder does not show hidden files or directories (in UNIX all names starting with a dot are hidden). For this purpose I have installed an alternative to the finder like Path Finder or it should be exist cheaper products, but I prefer always the more efficient one over the cheaper ones.
You can tweak the finder to show hidden files:
http://lifehacker.com/188892/show-hidden-files-in-finder
One Star

I am getting this same error, but I was not able to fix it using the previously mentioned instructions of:
Navigate to your workspace/.JETEmitter/src dir.
1. Delete everything in it but keep this dir.
2. Delete the file <StudioInstallDir>/configuration/ComponentCache.javacache
3. Restart Studio
This should gets your Generator Engine running.
Does anyone have any ideas?
I have a Project working fine in TOS 3.1.1. I exported it.
I then created the project again in TOS 5.3.1, imported the archive file, and when I try to Run my job, I get the generationManager error.
Any ideas?