Six Stars

ftp put result empty; why?

In order to understand ftp sessions I tried to build the following:

- input is a csv file

- this gets converted to an XML file

- which then is transferred by FTP.

My first try job does result in a file on the configured server with the configured name, but it is empty (0 bytes),

although the XML file has the expected contents and the job mentions 5 rows being sent to the tFtpPut component.

In the attachment I have the job configuration and its output. It  shows the empty ftp put result in a terminal on the target machine.

Do I have to include another component in order to close the file, or is my solution wrong in another sense?

thanks in advance, Ruud

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Forteen Stars TRF
Forteen Stars

Re: ftp put result empty; why?

You need to connect tFtpPut to your tFileInputDelimited using an onSubjobOk trigger.

This way, the ftp transfer will start after the XML will be completed, not when the subjob where it appears starts.

TRF
5 REPLIES
Forteen Stars TRF
Forteen Stars

You need to connect tFtpPut to your tFileInputDelimited using an onSubjobOk trigger.

This way, the ftp transfer will start after the XML will be completed, not when the subjob where it appears starts.

TRF
Six Stars

thank you very much. I knew I must have overlooked some detail.

A bit strange though the ftp put does some action (creating an empty file). I am going to try your suggestion right away.

Ruud

Six Stars

This was indeed the way to go.

In the attachment a screen shot of a working version of the job

Forteen Stars TRF
Forteen Stars

Based on your job design, the reason is that the tFtpPut starts at the same time as the subjob and because at this time the XML file is empty, an empty file is transfered.

If you wait for the end of the subjob where you write in the XML file (that's what you've tried with success), the tFtpPut starts after the file has been completed. 

TRF
Six Stars

thanks for the explantion. That makes sense.