One Star

Workspace in use, cannot start multiple instances at the same time

I've downloaded Open Studio on an Intel Mac OS X running Leopard 10.5.2.
From the unzipped directory I launched TalendOpenStudio-macosx-carbon.app and got the opening panel with the nice picture, then a dialoque box saying:
"Workspace in use, cannot start multiple instances at the same time".
No other version, or Talend process is running on my machine
I've deleted everything and unzipped the file again and tried in case something happened in the unzip process - with the same result.
Anyone know what the problem is, or how I can diagnose it?
Thanks!
12 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Workspace in use, cannot start multiple instances at the same time

Hello
A workspace can only be use once for application. So, I thougth you have clicked on the application more than once.
Well, You can use the -date option to specify the location of the workspace directory. In fact, the -date option is an Eclipse option. To learn more, check the Eclipse help.
For example:
1. Create a .bat file: TOS_start.bat under the install directory and type in the following code:
TalendOpenStudio-macosx-carbon.app -data F:/new_workspaces
2. Click this file to launch the application.
Best regards

shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Thanks for you reply.
I'm not sure if there was a clear understanding of the environment I have.
I am trying to get the Open Studio to run on an Apple Mac running OS X 10.5.
OS X does not recognise bat files, and a Mac application will not accept command line parameters (and definitely not an "F:" drive).
I have tried deleting just the workspace dir, then I tried deleting the whole installation directory and starting from scratch by unzipping the original zip file - and still got the same message. Does the application store a hidden file that would not have been deleted when I deleted the install directory?
Thanks for your help!
One Star

Hello Shong;
Some additional information from the Console Log from when I tried to launch the application:
"6/6/08 10:34:40 AM com.apple.launchd (.org.talend.rcp.branding.tos) posix_spawnp("/home/user/Software/TOS-All-r14571-V2.4.0RC3/TalendOpenStudio-macosx-carbon.app/Contents/MacOS/TalendOpenStudio-macosx-carbon", ...): Permission denied "
One Star

I switched to using the Linux version and have no problems.
Should I expect the Apple Mac version to work?
In the installation guide I don't see a reference to the Mac - only Windows and Linux.
Thanks!
Community Manager

Hello
Talend is a RCP product based on Eclipse IDE. So, it has the same similar behavior, see bug.
Can you try to run the copy of Talend application but with different workspace.
Best regards
shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Since the supplied Carbon app won't launch,
then maybe I could run a plain copy of Eclipse on the Mac, and then load a Talend Open Studio plugin into it?
If so where do I find the plugin, and what is it called?
Cheers!
Joseph
One Star

I was seeing the same error:
Jun 20 15:35:19 rowan-iv-2 com.apple.launchd (.org.talend.rcp.branding.tos): posix_spawnp("/Users/chuston/Downloads/TOS-All-r14858-V2.4.0 copy/TalendOpenStudio-macosx-carbon.app/Contents/MacOS/TalendOpenStudio-macosx-carbon", ...): Permission denied

It might be something related to Java 6 on Mac. With Java6 I get the following error when launching from the command line:
rowan-iv-2:TOS-All-r14858-V2.4.0 copy chuston$ ./TalendOpenStudio-macosx-carbon.app/Contents/MacOS/TalendOpenStudio-macosx-carbon
_NSJVMLoadLibrary: NSAddLibrary failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Libraries/libjvm.dylib
JavaVM FATAL: Failed to load the jvm library.

It works fine if I launch Talend from the command line with Java 1.5:
export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0_13
export PATH=${JAVA_HOME}/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH:${AXIS2_HOME}/bin
./TalendOpenStudio-macosx-carbon.app/Contents/MacOS/TalendOpenStudio-macosx-carbon
One Star

Thanks so much for the clue!!!
I don't have Java 6 on my box ... but I tried to launch it from with the contents of the .app and it worked!
Now I just have to move my workspace from the Linux box where I'm working currently, over to the Mac - I hope it's just a matter of copying it.
One Star

Thank you! It works by setting the PATH to JDK 1.5, when I set to JDK 1.6 it doesn't work.
One Star

Thanks, I encountered the same error, but I resolved it in a different way.
The error:
... posix_spawnp("/Applications/Talend/TalendOpenStudio-macosx-carbon.app/Contents/MacOS/TalendOpenStudio-macosx-carbon", ...): Permission denied
The solution:
After adding execute permissions to the program, I was able to bring it up from the Finder. To change permissions (assuming you put the unzipped contents in /Applications/Talend):
chmod 744 /Applications/Talend/TalendOpenStudio-macosx-carbon.app/Contents/MacOS/TalendOpenStudio-macosx-carbon
Then just double click on the application icon in the Finder. This is associated with: /Applications/Talend/TalendOpenStudio-macosx-carbon.app
One Star

I hate it when it's that simple. :-)
Thanks very much.
This tool saved my bacon yesterday.
I had 199 spreadsheets in an Excel workbook that had to be concatenated into 1 sheet -- then had to do that same thing for 8 workbooks.
Once I figured out how to do it with this tool, each workbook only took 3 mins to do.
Imagine how long that would take to do by cutting and pasting!
Cheers!

Hi 
 I am using windows 7 and i have installed talend data managment 6.1.1 platform . un fortunately i am face an error like (This workspace is already in use. You cannot launch the Studio more than once with the same workspace) while starting the work space.
 How can i fix this please help me asap.....!!!!!!!!!!