Working with different workspace at the same time

One Star

Working with different workspace at the same time

Hello everybody,
We have Talend os installed on a server and we need to work with at the same time. 
Can we create differents workspaces to work with at the same time ??
Thank you.
Seventeen Stars

Re: Working with different workspace at the same time

Different workspaces at the same time? You mean you want to use the studio installation shared for multiple users?
Unfortunately this does not work out of the box. I don not know how but you can setup eclipse (Talend use eclipse as foundation) to work in a multi user mode.
One Star

Yes we want to use Talend for multiple users and we thought to create multiple workspaces.
Thank you for your reply.
Employee

I take it you mean you want several users to use the same installation of Talend Studio concurrently. Don't try this. Talend is based on Eclipse and Eclipse makes too many background file changes for you to handle this sort of set up. It is not supported either. Why can you not install Talend Studio on individual machines?
Seventeen Stars

Indeed installing on individual machines is the best but some times the workstations are virtual machines and these machines are often shared over a couple of developers. 
For one of my customers we have made several installations on the same machine but we created hard links for the most expensive folders like plugin to a common folder. This works well and reduce the footprint of these installations.
One Star

thank you all for your reply.
why not install Talend OS on individual machines ? its simply question of organisation , we want to have one environment that contains all jobs.
i think ,like jlolling said, the best way is to make several installations on the same machine.
Thank you so much.
Employee

I think you need to rethink this. Having a single environment with all jobs is fine, but you are talking about having multiple workspaces. You cannot "merge" workspaces easily, so you are making life difficult for yourself trying to get everyone using the same machine for absolutely no benefit.
If you want everyone to have the same environment and the same jobs, you either need to use the Enterprise Edition OR manage how you work on the jobs. Having the same machine and same installation only leads to issues of one developer overwriting another developer's work as you have absolutely no "locking" of jobs. I have seen it corrupt projects as well. If each developer has their own machine and you manage who works on particular jobs at a time, you can work collaboratively by making use of the Job export and import functionality OR build an SVN solution into your infrastructure.
One Star

I get your point. But we don't need to merge workspaces.
Thank you so much for your reply.