Why/How did my job convert to Read-Only?

Four Stars

Why/How did my job convert to Read-Only?

I opened one of my Jobs in a separate Project and it seems that it was converted to a Read-Only job. I never updated its version so I have no idea how this happened? The background color turns darker and I am unable to do anything to it.
I was able to duplicate the job and it opened so that I can edit it, but still, why did this happen? Is there a better solution then to duplicate the job?
thanks
Community Manager

Re: Why/How did my job convert to Read-Only?

Hello
Are you using TOS or TIS? if TIS, the job is opend by other users and it is locked.
Best regards

shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
Four Stars

I was using TOS. I ended up redoing the whole project but it was still an inconvenience.
One Star

Has there been any outcome to this? I'm using TOS 3.2.2 and it just locked me out of my files. I can duplicate the file but I need to get back to a previous version and would rather not have to carry around a file i cannot eliminate at all without losing all my version history.
One Star

Any update on this. I have the same problem with two jobs (out of 16 in the workspace) that are in read-only and can't be modified anymore.
Prob with TOS 3.2.2, job are 'standard', they all grew from diverse TOS from version 2.x.x without much problem.
I already had the problem in October with a different workspace/set of jobs and had initially decided not to update to TOS 3.2.2 because of this. (OS was Win XP Pro SP3)

Would anyone have a solution to / trick for this read-only problem?
Community Manager

Hello raton
Can you export the locked job and send it me via email? I will debug it and found how to re-open it.
Thanks for your support!!!
Best regards

shong
One Star

I actually cannot, i went into the view/navigator and deleted any of the versions that had locked up on their own. Fortunately that freed up the base version that i had originally tried to create the version from.
One Star

It just happened again, with a fresh install of Talend Data Quality 3.2.2.r33000 so I have submitted the file to you via email.
One Star

My latest lock job sent to shong via email seconds ago too. Smiley Happy
One Star

Has shong posted a solution to these locked jobs yet? I'd love to learn more on a resolution to this.
Community Manager

Hello
Has shong posted a solution to these locked jobs yet? I'd love to learn more on a resolution to this.

Gennerally, the job is locked as you are creating several version of job. In Talend, only the latest version of job is open, and other versions are locked. When double clicking on the job name on repository, it will open the latest version of job in job editor. So, if you see the job status becomes read-only, please check if it is the latest version of job. Sometines, if you can't open the latest version of job, go to Navigator--->your project name folder-->process and remove the two files of old version job: jobName_oldVersion.item, jobName_oldVersion.properties, then return back to repository viewer and click on 'refresh' button.
Best regards
shong
One Star

I have tried removing the newly created locked version only to find that when i again try to version the original EVERY new verison is created as locked. I ended up opening the job, copying everything and pasting it into a new job so i could work with it. That seems to defeat the purpose of version control but i don't have the time to spend.
One Star

I had also tried to remove file of old versions but it didn't change anything. The only way around that locking problem (which actually happened every time I used TOS 3.2.2 Smiley Sad ) was to create a new job, copy all the components from the locked job to the new job, delete the locked job and rename the new job with the name of the previously locked job. I didn't find any other way to unlock those.
... on the other hand, no locking problems with TOS 3.2.3 ;-). (ok, but a little other problem with the job export function that doesn't export very well ...)
One Star

With regards to older versions of jobs; why can't I modify them or save them under another name? If the current version of a job isn't working right do I need to remove it in order to "free up" the earlier one? How do I remove a version?
Thanks in advance...
- Russell
Community Manager

Hello
If the current version of a job isn't working right do I need to remove it in order to "free up" the earlier one?

Yes, go to Navigator--->your project name folder-->process and remove the two files of old version job: jobName_oldVersion.item, jobName_oldVersion.properties, then return back to repository viewer and click on 'refresh' button.
Best regards

shong
One Star

I can bring some more info to this read-only problem.
In TOS 3.2.3, I have just found out one more job that had turn to read-only. It happened that I was on the 10th version of that job and when it turned from version 3.9 to 3.10, it became read-only. It seems that 3.10 is considered as an 'older' version that 3.9.
Upgrading the job to version 4.0 made it (re)writable.
Either considering version 3.10 as being newer than v3.9 OR limiting the number of sub-version to 9 (x.0 to x.9 only) could avoid people getting very frustrated with these read-only blockage ... (just a couple of ideas)
Should I create a bug ticket?
Four Stars

I have the same trouble passing from 9.0 to 10.0 version of my Job with TIS 3.2.
Community Manager

Hello raton an jllecardinal
Should I create a bug ticket?

It shoud be a bug, please report it on our bugtracker.
Thanks for your support!!
Best regards
Shong
One Star

Thanks shong, reported in bug 0012625.