Where is the Component-level global variables list?

One Star

Where is the Component-level global variables list?

Coming back to Talend for a project and I'm hoping this is resolved as I asked for it 3 years ago:
Is there a "master list" that exists that names all of the component-based global variables that can be gotten to in code, like through the tJava component?
For instance:
If i were working with, say, a tFileList, one can get to the current file name via tFileList_1_CURRENT_FILE
Where is the master list of all of the "global variables" or whatever you call them for each and every component? And if there is a master list, why isn't it available through the online help page, explaining what all those variables are?
And for that matter - you've got this nice looking online help now for each component - why in the world don't you put this information on the page for each component?
Come on guys - this is 3 or more years later - please tell me you've documented this somewhere for all to see??
Also: did you know your help webpage doesn't work with the latest version of firefox? When I put the cursor in the search text box and try to type something, it automatically brings up the "How can we improve this...yadayadayada..." dialog.

Re: Where is the Component-level global variables list?

Hi,
Actually, we have documented the "global variables" in component reference tFileList.
Also: did you know your help webpage doesn't work with the latest version of firefox? When I put the cursor in the search text box and try to type something, it automatically brings up the "How can we improve this...yadayadayada..." dialog.

The latest one? I have made a testing and everything is OK.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

You refer to documenting a single component, yet I'm inquiring if there is a master list w/matrix like I had suggested a long time ago?
For instance:
If I wanted to get the file name for a tFileInputFullRow component how would it be done? I've seen examples on tFileList such as globalMap.get("tFileList_1_CURRENT_FILE")...
There really seems to be no rhyme or reason nor any documentation that's meaningful other than "how-to" forum posts on a lot of this globalMap stuff. And Talend has been around long enough for you guys to take this seriously and address it because it's just a giant waste of time.
So, again, what you need is documentation of each component that goes something like this:
Component = tFileInputFullRow
Property File Name = globalMap.get("tFileInputFullRow_1_FILE_NAME")
Property Row Separator = globalMap.get("tFileInputFullRow_1_ROW_SEPARATOR")
Things you can't get to: Property1, Property2, etc., etc.
Component = tFileList
Property Directory = globalMap.get("tFileList_1_DIR")
Property CURRENT_FILE = globalMap.get("tFileList_1_CURRENT_FILE")
Things you can't get to: Property1, Property2, etc., etc.

Get my meaning? And, if you just can't get to that property because it hasn't been publicly exposed, then just say so. For every component, every property.
That is what is needed. If you do this in the docs, you'll cut your forum posts in half on the globalmap/component properties issues, guaranteed.

Hi,
Thank you for the detailed explanation, I have got your requirement exactly.
I think it is a good suggestion, I have reported this issue to our documentation team. I think this issue will be addressed in a future release.
Please look forward to that. Thanks your contribution.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Five Stars

The Studio Outline Panel is the place to see all of the component "global variables".
http://www.talendbyexample.com/talend-studio-outline-panel-reference.html
I also sometimes find it helpful to add the following statement to a tJavaMap. It's a bit crude but useful - usually at the end of a Job.
System.out.println(globalMap.toString().replaceAll(",", "\n"));
One Star

A tJavaMap at the end of a job is a most-excellent suggestion...I'll try that.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Highlighted
One Star

thanks for comment on outline panel, exactly what I need