What is your experience of Talend support?

One Star

What is your experience of Talend support?

Hi
I'm evaluating Talend products for a data project. I'm wondering what support is like; we've just spent a few thousand dollars on training and, whilst it was well structured, it was not without problems (which I logged during the labs) and I only got contacted by support two days after I submitted the survey on completion of the course. I didn't think it was particularly good value for money and I was disappointed with the support - Is this what I should expect if we select this tool for our project and go in to production?
Have you had real issues with Talend products and needed support? What was your experience like?
Thanks
Sixteen Stars

Re: What is your experience of Talend support?

Having used several different ETL tools, I feel assured in telling you that you won't find a tool better than Talend (....although you may consider me biased since I have based my business around their toolset). Having said that, I am not going to tell you that there are not quirks in their offering which can be a frustration. Support can be a bit hit and miss. It really does depend on the agent you get. However they are changing this in order to provide a better overall service. As far as the product goes, you are usually pretty safe from real issues once you get to {major release}.2.
Do not base your impression of the tool on your bad experiences with the course and support. Support is getting better and their training is really hit and miss. I won't earn any Talend brownie points by saying you are better off getting an expert on site to provide tailored training, since the product and use cases are so vast. You will likely pay far less and get something that can really give you information on what you NEED to know rather than what is easy and exciting to demonstrate.
Also please keep in mind that there is a growing community of talented Talend professionals who are always more than eager to help out on forums like this. The best place to learn is on sites like this. You will also find regular posters on this site often have their own websites with tutorials and exercises. 
One Star

I agree with RDhall_2.0. With talend support the things have really improved over time and they are improving. The tool in in itself is pretty powerful. Do not create your experience on the basis of one or two experiences. We have been using talend tool for over 3+ years now and we are pretty satisfied with it.
One Star

Thanks for your feedback.
Our evaluation of DI and DQ so far has been a bit underwhelming. It currently looks like we won't be advising our project to use it as the preferred tool which is a shame because it looks like it has some great features. 
Sixteen Stars

Can I ask what you compared the DI tool to and why you were underwhelmed? As I said, I have been using DI tools for years and have not come across a better tool than Talend. Could it be that your experience of the tool has been tarnished by a lack of knowledge of how it works? That is certainly not meant as a dig, I am simply pointing out that if you are using the Open Source version as complete beginners, I would not be surprised if you were struggling to see the value.
One Star

"Can I ask what you compared the DI tool to and why you were underwhelmed? As I said, I have been using DI tools for years and have not come across a better tool than Talend. Could it be that your experience of the tool has been tarnished by a lack of knowledge of how it works? That is certainly not meant as a dig, I am simply pointing out that if you are using the Open Source version as complete beginners, I would not be surprised if you were struggling to see the value"

Sure

My team is experienced in SSIS, SAP data services and other tools - we have decades of experience. We think the productivity is too slow for developing jobs compared to the others. Collaboration seems to be an issue too; I am aware that only paid for licensed version permit collaboration which is fair enough.

Our gut feeling so far is that it's a good tool for heterogenous sources, but modelling everything as a Java class seems to be an overhead we don't really need. For example, creating a tFixedFlowInput just to pass parameters to a SP call seems over-engineered.
Sixteen Stars

I see. Well it is entirely down to you I guess but I feel that I should dispel some falsehoods here. 
Talend is not slow at all for either development or performance. I have seen some comparisons on performance (strangely one that springs to mind is comparing SSIS to Talend a few versions ago) and those that are unfavorable to Talend almost always have poorly written jobs. We are talking about using Talend in a way comparable to writing every variable value to a flat file and reading it back in order to simply pass values between classes in C++. While Talend generates Java, there is no requirement to go to the sort of lengths you describe for providing a stored proc with data. In fact, I have only seen that sort of thing done in very basic tutorials that are meant to demonstrate the stuff that enables "your granny to do it".....an unfortunate expectation of many people new into the ETL/DI world. Those tutorials are all over the place and I would not be surprised if that is where you got it from.
One thing you are right about is that Talend is very good for heterogeneous sources. However that doesn't take away from its uses in a homogeneous source environment. I suspect that one of the examples you have seen is joining tables using a tMap component or a tJoin component. They are great for joining datarows in heterogeneous source environments. But there is no need to do that if your data is in the same db or you can use db links. You can simply write your query in one of the t{database)Input components and throw the joining and filtering back to the db....where it should be done. You can also make your queries dynamic using a bit of Java. 
When it comes to integrating with other systems, there really isn't a tool that compares. If there is not an interface for a piece of software, you can implement your own making use of Java APIs or REST/SOAP APIs. That is maybe not useful to you now, but it is worth keeping in mind. 
When it comes to collaborative working, I can see how this would appear difficult with the Open Source Edition. However if you understand how Talend works you can implement your own protocols to handle this in the Open Source Edition. It is of course a lot easier with the Enterprise Edition which handles all of this for you.
The other benefits to keep in mind are the shared metadata across domains. You can share this across all of the Talend components which mitigates against rework and massively speeds up development once you are used to the paradigm.
However I do hear what you are saying. If you only have a MSSQL Server environment to deal with and are used to SSIS, then use that. I just wanted to point out that an experienced MySQL developer would have no idea about the "With Clause" in Oracle and SQL Server and therefore might never use them unless they were told about them. That doesn't make them a bad developer, they are just not familiar with the tool. 
One Star

OK, interesting and useful opinions.
Not sure what you mean by writing variables to flat files and passing between C++ classes. In other tools these would be scoped runtime configurable parameters.
I wasn't suggesting Talend DI was slow, we have found the speed of developing jobs slower that, say, SSIS, Informatica, SAP DS... Although we will be looking at performance when we profile and migrate live data. We're looking at 1.5-5Bn records in one source.
Thanks for your input.
Sixteen Stars

"Not sure what you mean by writing variables to flat files and passing between C++ classes. In other tools these would be scoped runtime configurable parameters."
I was making a somewhat clumsy example of a ridiculous thing to do with C++ where the equivalent had been done when testing Talend. You would never pass variables between classes in C++ by writing to and reading from flat files. The latency would be absolutely ridiculous. 
"I wasn't suggesting Talend DI was slow, we have found the speed of developing jobs slower that, say, SSIS, Informatica, SAP DS... Although we will be looking at performance when we profile and migrate live data. We're looking at 1.5-5Bn records in one source."

I come from an Informatica background. I know that it has likely got better to work with than the last version I used (v9), but from design to working job Talend certainly wins in development speed for me. But I completely understand that I am more aligned to working with Talend now, so that is probably not a fair comparison. 
One Star

@ DL001 -- We were also in the similar boat as yours 4 years back when we had to decide on a ETL tool. We had everything present in stored procedure world and it had become a night mare to maintain it. At that time we had to decide to switch to a newer tool. Team decided on talend tool and although it was a difficult journey in starting due to lack of knowledge about what tool can do and what is the right way to do it (I guess it is correct for any tool), but with proper guidance and training, it is one of the best ETL tools that I have worked it. It didn't only met the requirements at that time but it helped us for future scalability too.