What is the best way to modify fields in a complex JSON document?

Four Stars

What is the best way to modify fields in a complex JSON document?

Hello,

I'm trying to come up with a way to be able to make modifications to a "complex" JSON document using Talend.  However, I can't seem to get any one method working at all.  First, below is a sample JSON document to illustrate the structure:

{
    "title": "foo",
    "team":
    [
        {
            "name": "Team 1",
            "collaborators":
            [
                {
                    "name": "Team 3"
                }
            ]
        },
        {
            "name": "Team 2",
            "collaborators":
            [
                {
                    "name": "Team 3"
                }
            ]
        }
    ]
}

FYI, we're using Talend Open Studio for Data Integration 7.0.

To start, I wanted to find a way to modify the $.team.collaborators.name, such as converting the text to uppercase.  The main requirement of this flow is that the document needs to be written out in a similar structure as it came in as it's going to end up in a document store.  E.g. I can't break it out into rows.  So, regardless of any changes I make, it has to result in a single document.  The overall structure won't change much, except we may remove some unneeded fields.

I first tried to do this with the built-in JSON processors and came to the conclusion that they wouldn't work because everything I found made it look like the data would have to be flattened into a schema.  Next, I downloaded and installed the tJsonDoc processors and didn't have much more luck.  I could successfully open the document, but I couldn't extract a using tJsonDocExtraction, which may be deprecated as I don't see it on their Github page anymore.  Lastly, I tried to use tJavaRow and tJavaFlex to use Jackson directly to create the processor I require, but the closest I got was starting to use tJavaFlex and getting an error that it couldn't find ObjectMapper.  The funny thing here is that I was following what is in another post that supposedly worked.  I diverted slightly into creating a routine, but I couldn't import jackson even though I can see under the Modules view that it is installed.

So, what is the cleanest/best way to do this?

Nine Stars

Re: What is the best way to modify fields in a complex JSON document?

Hi,

I would suggest you tLibraryLoad "org.json.jar" and make the changes you need manually in something like a tJavaRow

Regards David
Dont forget to give Kudos when an answer is helpful or mark the answer as the solution.
Four Stars

Re: What is the best way to modify fields in a complex JSON document?

Hello,

So, are you saying that there's no way to leverage the built-in Jackson library that comes with Talend?  It seems silly that one comes with the product, but we can't use it in a tJava_ component.

What’s New for Talend Spring ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Watch

Downloads and Trials

Test drive Talend's enterprise products.

Downloads

Definitive Guide to Data Integration

Practical steps to developing your data integration strategy.

Download