Four Stars

Webservice with PDF output

Hi all,
I need to display a pdf in a browser. The pdf datas are stored in an oracle db (LOB).
Is it possible to achieve this with a REST Service ? I don't see which output type to use...
I'm using 5.1.1 with DI + ESB Edition.
8 REPLIES
Employee

Re: Webservice with PDF output

You can use the content type: application/pdf.
It may also help to add a Content-Disposition header with "attachment; filename=myfile.pdf".
Four Stars

Thanks for your answer cschneider, but I didn't understand where I have to setup this content-type in the tRestResponse. Well, I guess I have to load my PDF datas in the body of the response, but how ?
.. I didn't find any example of what the XML answer should looks like.
Four Stars

Hi cschneider, for your information :
https://jira.talendforge.org/browse/TESB-8351?focusedCommentId=260364&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin...
Indeed yesterday I tried with 5.2.1 and http headers but I noticed that PDF binary data (Byte[] out from tOracleInput) are not supported by tRESTResponse, the PDF file I get in the browser is empty
Employee

Hi Sylvain
Yes, tRESTResponse only supports Document & String for now.
Indeed, expanding a list of supported response types (byte[], possibly Object, and may be in the future: InputStream) will help.
Let us think a bit about it.
Cheers, Sergey
Four Stars

Hi, any update about this feature ?
Employee

Hi - unfortunately it did not make it into 5.3.1.
This enhancement request was reviewed exactly yesterday :-), I believe byte[] will be supported by tRESTResponse in few weeks time; I'm also positive that byte[] will be supported by tRESTRequest.
Thanks for driving this enhancement request,
Sergey
Employee

By the way, is it something that is a bit of a blocker for you ?
Dietmar had a workaround idea: get byte[] Base64-encoded in tJavaFlex and link the resulting String to tRESTResponse 'string' field and then get this string Base64-decoded in a browser-hosted script. This of course requires a bit of manual coding, but may help in the short term.
If you do decide to go this route, please check if Talend Studio ships a Base64 encoder, otherwise load it with tLoadLibrary (use the library of your choice).

Cheers, Sergey
Four Stars

Hi talend team, is this feature included in the 5.3.1 ?