One Star

Version Control with Talend Open Studio ?

Hello,
How can I Put Talend Open Studio projects under version control, I will need to enter the entire workspace into version control, including the hidden metadata and compilation directories (.metadata, .JETEmitters and .Java) .
Regards
Mbaroudi
5 REPLIES
Seventeen Stars

Re: Version Control with Talend Open Studio ?

My experience is, it usually does not work this way. Adding .JETEmitters and .Java does not make sense because they contains only temporary created files.
The main problem with "approach" is, you will not get notified about new jobs.
The only way I know is to create a empty SVN repository and export your jobs with Export Items function into this directory and sync this with SVN. All others have to import this synced dir in they studios.
It works but it is error prone.
The best way is to contact a sales representive from Talend and order a small version (something like Team Edition)
One Star

Thank you Jan,
I think that a solution will be possible when sharing the project directory and not the workspace.
Create the same name of project on Talend and lock some config file if necessary.
Regards
One Star

Jan - On your previous comment:
"The only way I know is to create a empty SVN repository and export your jobs with Export Items function into this directory and sync this with SVN. All others have to import this synced dir in they studios."
With this model, the developer has to export to svn at the end of the day (assuming he's the only working on the project that day) and manually re-import the job from svn into Talend every day? In doing the export, do you overwrite the existing or previous export?
So it sounds like you're saying that using svn to manage your TOS workspace or project directories directly is risky at best and error-prone?
Thanks for any guidance you may have on using svn with TOS.
Will
Seventeen Stars

Yes you got it. Thats because companies usually decides to pay for the enterprise release ;-)
One Star

you may be interested in this link on how to set this up for git
http://richardlog.com/post/15939924496/putting-talend-open-studio-projects-under-version
this approach does have the problems that jlolling identified. You end up with a repository full of temporary items that change frequently and you don't need to keep. However, I have tried it and used it to restore a workspace. The trick here is that you need to close talend before syncing or you will create a locked workspace in the repository and so end up with a locked workspace when you restore.