One Star

VSAM Data Source

I've been wondering if Talend can retrieve data from VSAM files.
7 REPLIES

Re: VSAM Data Source

Hi,
Today 12:27:47
I've been wondering if Talend can retrieve data from VSAM files.

So far, Talend don't support for that.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Seventeen Stars

If I understand you correctly, VSAM files are host based database files. In this case it is more common to export data to EBCDIC files with Copybook description. Talend has recently improved the support for EBCDIC and Copybook.
One Star

Hi jlolling,
What i have here are DAT files with their corresponding Copybooks and files of type IDX.
I've tried reading their contents using the tFileInputEBCDIC and print the values in tlogRow. But, the retrieved data contains special characters that are difficult to read (See attached screenshots). I suppose the IDX files have something to do with this.
Any idea on what the IDX files are are for?
I am not sure however if these are the actual contents of the DAT files as these files are just given to me for testing purposes.
Seventeen Stars

Did you have used the copybook import wizard to create a metadata entry for your copybook. It is essential to do that!
After creating this copybook entry you have to derive the schema from this copybook. If you use the tFileInputEBCDIC component with a simple self defined schema, it will not work, because you pick values probably at the wrong position. It looks like this situation! Please keep in mind, EBCDIC is mostly a long chain of values with a defined length and without any self explaining delimiter between fields. You have to read field be field with the correct length! Every small mistake here leads to a complete unreadable content.
What version of Studio do you use?
In 5.1.1 the wizard is a bit buggy, but in 5.1.3 the copybook wizard works well.
One Star

Yes, I did use the copybook wizard to create the schema and then dragged the schema to the designer as tFileInputEBCDIC. The schema is now defined for that component.
As seen on the attached screenshot, the schema of the component is from the repository.
For the copybook import, I just followed the instructions defined in the link below:
https://help.talend.com/search/all?query=Setting+up+a+Copybook+connection&content-lang=en
The Talend version i'm using is Talend BigData v5.2.2
Seventeen Stars

Your screenshot looks like your file is not an EBCDIC file because this kind of file has not metadata information, only the contents of fields one after the next. It could be an VSAM file directly, but unfortunately I have no knowledge about the internal structure of a VSAM file.
I have read, there are probably some JDBC drivers which cam read VSAM files. In Talend you would use the tJDBCInput components to use your driver. As fare as I know, there are only commercial drivers for VSAM.
Here a link to a list:
http://www.sqlsummit.com/JDBCVend.htm
One Star

Thank you jlolling for your help. I appreciate your time. Smiley Happy