One Star

Using GPUs?

Has anyone done any work on modifying components or building components to work on GPUs? Possibly using something like JCuda?
http://www.jcuda.org/
I'm wondering on what use cases you had for it? It seems that GPUs can provide solutions to heavily cpu dependent processes, and indeed you can order a GPU server on amazon aws. We do have massively heavy CPU processes so it may well work nicely for us without having to have loads and loads of servers!
Dan
3 REPLIES
Seventeen Stars

Re: Using GPUs?

I guess a typical ETL job does not need such kind of heavily CPU power, but they need much more IO.
I would think, reporting tools like Jasperreports which renders reports need much more CPU power the the data transfer programs and they could take advantage from GPUs.
One Star

Agreed; Typically ETL isnt massively CPU bound; However I have a process which is, and is doing all sorts of advanced analytics/statistics. So it could be these would help us - seems it could be a lot of work to prove the point though.

probably the easy way to do it would be to write a java routine that uses jcuda-- then call it in a tJavaRow or tMap as needed.
bottom line-- you want jcuda, you'll probably have to write it yourself Smiley Happy