Users of Talend and Salesforce.com - Forum for Enhancements

One Star

Users of Talend and Salesforce.com - Forum for Enhancements

I have used TOS on a couple of my Salesforce projects. I feel that it has great potential but just is lacking in some capabilities and it has a few bugs. I would like to start a discussion with others who want to use this tool with Salesforce to share their desires, frustrations and tips on how to make Talend a robust tool to use for ETL with Salesforce. If you want to participate, please respond to this post.
Here are a couple of my frustrations with TOS and it's interface to Salesforce:
1. When you define a schema to access a Salesforce object, TOS does not always pull the schema directly from Salesforce. Some date fields and Zip/Postal Code fields are defined incorrectly. It is frustrating to have to review the schema to find these errors when the detailed schema is passed to TOS via the Salesforce API.
2. Why do we need to keep entering our login and passwords over and over again. We have to do it for each schema created. If you attach the schema to a tSalesforceOutput, it does not pull across the login credentials from the schema. Why not!
3. Salesforce read only fields: When you create a schema, you can not tell if a field is read only. If you attempt to use a schema with a read only field to update Salesforce, it will fail. At lease flag read only fields in the schema. Ideally, ignore data in read only fields when updating Salesforce.
I am building a series of jobs that will copy data from a production org to a developer sandbox. Since I am a consultant, I want to make it somewhat generic so I can use it with multiple clients. I have not found an easy way to update the underlying schema to point to a new set of production and sandbox orgs without a lot of tweaking of the jobs. Has anyone else tried to do this? Any tips on how to make it easier?
Thanks,
John
Employee

Re: Users of Talend and Salesforce.com - Forum for Enhancements

Hi John,
1. Please provide detail information, or you can report on bug tracker if this is a confirmed bug.
2. This can be modified, Reproduce: change to "Repository" schema mode then select an exist salesforce metadata, login credentials didn't attach to component's setting along with the schema.
3. To avoid this security issue you have to verify the schema again. Uncheck "Extended Output", trigger "Reject" link to get all fields that failed by "INVALID_FIELD_FOR_INSERT_UPDATE" error. There are so much specific cases, we can't ignore them all automatically, besides it will combine input+filter+output in output which is too large for one component.
One Star

Hi John
My name is Craig and I run a salesforce consultancy in Winchester UK. I am keen to standardise on Talend for ETL jobs and so would like to participate - I realise its been quite some time, are you still working with Salesforce and Talend ?
One Star

I would like to understand point 3 from nsun better (posted 2010-04-09)
"3. To avoid this security issue you have to verify the schema again. Uncheck "Extended Output", trigger "Reject" link to get all fields that failed by "INVALID_FIELD_FOR_INSERT_UPDATE" error. There are so much specific cases, we can't ignore them all automatically, besides it will combine input+filter+output in output which is too large for one component."

Which steps are necessary?
Where is Uncheck "Extended Output"?
Where trigger "Reject" link?
I can't understant this. What did nsun mean? Do still do it manually? Or is there a way to wipe out the readonly fields ALL with a single click?
Right now I'm doing it manually and it WASTE hours on Orgs with > 300 fields per entity and > 50 fields being read-only or inaccessible by FLS.
Any ideas?