Four Stars

Upgrading to 5.4.1 - Deploying TAC on Tomcat

Hello,
I am looking into upgrading to 5.4.1 from 5.0.2
While looking at the details of configuration.properties file in org.talend.administrator.war in 5.4.1, I noticed it does not have "Projected URL Parameters" etc.. How are these values handled ?
Thanks,
6 REPLIES
Seventeen Stars

Re: Upgrading to 5.4.1 - Deploying TAC on Tomcat

Unlike the older releases most parameters are now stored in the database in the table "configuration".
I would install the new release parallel to the old one with its own database, ports and SVN repo.
When you have finished the installation: test it with some simple test jobs: Generate, Deploy, Run etc.
You will notice the way of showing the logs is completely different.
After the installation test export your jobs with the job item export and import them also with the studio.
Please check every single job!!! There is a bug which prevents you from opening a couple of them. This bug is solved in 5.4.2 - I would wait for it.
One Star

What's the bug reference?
Seventeen Stars

Four Stars

Thank you for the information!!
I have a question on commandline:
I usually install the new release parallel to older version. I install individual components (job Server, CommandLine, Administration database) and test them before working on TAC.
But installation document says, it is important that you first install Talend Administration Center, you configure it and you connect the Studio to the remote repository before you launch CommandLine in order to avoid errors during code generation of Jobs related to these required external libraries.
Should this order be strictly followed??
Thanks,
Seventeen Stars

No, I do not follow this order at all. I usually install all parts and check if it works well.
The first step goes with a small number of test jobs to ensure the parts works.
The second step imports all jobs and checks if all jobs compiling well (in the studio by the code view).
The last step is importing all users and task from the old installation.
Pitfalls:
Never ever copy a installation and try to upgrade that! This could lead into a nightmare because we never know exactly where database or SVN urls are stored and you very likely get cross connections!
For a complete parallel installation I prefer a new virtual machine. You could also install it on the same machine but use for the war file a different name as the existing one! I have seen effects in which the browser does not differentiate between the installations and settings from the server one goes to the server two.
Plan all necessary ports! Make a list of ports and check port overlapping.
Never use the same SVN repository for both, always create a new repository for the new release (e.g. add the release number to the repo name!)
Always think about the migration as a project with a minimum of 5 days workload and keep the old one ready to run!
Four Stars

Very informative..Thank you again !!