Unable to recognize OLE stream for reading .xls file.

Five Stars

Unable to recognize OLE stream for reading .xls file.

I am getting this error while loading .xls file from Talend. i am able to open after convert the file using Excel.
Please any solution.
 connecting to socket on port 3778
connected
Exception in component tJava_1
jxl.read.biff.BiffException: Unable to recognize OLE stream
at jxl.read.biff.CompoundFile.<init>(CompoundFile.java:116)
at jxl.read.biff.File.<init>(File.java:127)
at jxl.Workbook.getWorkbook(Workbook.java:221)
at jxl.Workbook.getWorkbook(Workbook.java:198)
disconnected
Job Tester ended at 16:21 03/03/2013.

Accepted Solutions
Five Stars

Re: Unable to recognize OLE stream for reading .xls file.

Thanks All for your reply, my issue has resolved and there is a .XLS file issue not for the properties in the tFileInputExcel.

All Replies
Seventeen Stars

Did you created your own code in a tJava component using the jxl library? In this case at first try to read the file with the original tFileInputExcel component.
If you want writing your own code reading Excel, I would strongly recommend to switch to Apache POI. This library is much more reliable and has more features.
Five Stars

I did try with tFileInputExcel component, but fail to read. After open it using Notepad it seems like it is HTML file because it has style sheet values with HTML code i think this file is not normal Excel file. so what i am doing now, i am trying to parse HTML <table>.
Do you know any other way to read it or parse it.

Hi umeshrakhe,
Unable to recognize OLE stream

I have met this issue before, but I'm not sure it is the same occasion with yours. Usually, I will check out the option "Read excel 2007 file format(xlsx)".
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Five Stars

Hi xdshi
I tried this option also but not working for me, I will post you more details about file, so we can have better idea.
One Star

I have the same problem an XLS file with html formatting.
unchecking xlsx box does not work for me either

Hi,
I have the same problem an XLS file with html formatting.
unchecking xlsx box does not work for me either

The XLS file cannot parsed in still, when you have checked out the option "Read excel 2007 file format(xlsx)". I'm afraid that our parsing don't support your complex formats.
We also use Apache tool jar to parse.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Do you have any suggestion as an alternative component?
If I rename that .xls file to .html it is perfect html data table viewable in browser.
best regards
Martin

Hi,
Actually, in talend there is not a input component which can read HTML file. And I have made a search on talend exchange portal for the custom component. Unfortunately, there is not a proper one. Maybe some one will give a wonderful idea, sorry for the inconvenience.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Seventeen Stars

Probably there is a developer who will create this for us.
As a requirement, I would say, it should be possible to define which table (per id or name or simple the first one) the component should parse and read.
In case of XHTML the simple tFileInputXML component should do this job!

Hi,
It is welcome that open a JIRA issue in the Talend DI project of the JIRA bugtracker for the new required feature.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
One Star

@umeshrakhe:
Even i got the same issue today. My friend told, that its not an excle file. its just named as .xls or .xlsx...
it doesn't mean its excel file. Still u will be able to open the source file with microsoft excel app.
But talend cannot open it with tfileinputexcel component.
Try opening the source file with notepad... it may be tab delimited. so u can try to open it with tinputfiledelimited component.
Alternately you can also convert the input file as excel by opening and saving it as "excel work book" instead of "unicode text" format.
THANKS,
 abhicool666@gmail.com
One Star

Hi
I am facing this issue as well (Unable to recognize OLE stream).
i am using csv file as input and i am using the fileinputexcel whether it will work or not??
Five Stars

Hi, I faced same issue today. I tried to open my .xls file in notepad and it opened as a text file with tab delimited columns. I used tfileinputdelimited instead of tfileinputexcel and it worked.

Hello su66,

Thanks for sharing your solution here.

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Five Stars

Hello Talend team,

We are also getting the same issue while reading the data from .xls file. Following is the error message.

Exception in component tFileInputExcel_1 (tXLS2STGEMPTBL)
jxl.read.biff.BiffException: Unable to recognize OLE stream
at jxl.read.biff.CompoundFile.<init>(CompoundFile.java:116)
at jxl.read.biff.File.<init>(File.java:127)
at jxl.Workbook.getWorkbook(Workbook.java:268)
at sandbox.txls2stgemptbl_0_1.tXLS2STGEMPTBL.tFileInputExcel_1Process(tXLS2STGEMPTBL.java:1472)
at sandbox.txls2stgemptbl_0_1.tXLS2STGEMPTBL.runJobInTOS(tXLS2STGEMPTBL.java:2388)
at sandbox.txls2stgemptbl_0_1.tXLS2STGEMPTBL.main(tXLS2STGEMPTBL.java:2214)

we are attaching the screen shot for the job and error message.

Kindly do needful for the same.

Thirteen Stars

@nischal,can you un tick Read excel2007 file format(xlsx) in Basic settings of tFileInputExcel?

Manohar B
Five Stars

Thanks All for your reply, my issue has resolved and there is a .XLS file issue not for the properties in the tFileInputExcel.