One Star

Unable to Retrieve Schema for Postgres database

I'm trying to use TOS DI 5.4.1 running on Windows 7 to maintain data in a Postgres 9.1 database in a local linux VM. I am able to create a connection to the database with the v9.X option and the Check button returns success. If I then select the connection and try to retrieve the schema, I get a connection failure dialog. When I look at the details I see java.lang.RuntimeException: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "xxxxxxx". I have tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of TOS, with the same result. Oddly, if i create a tPostgresqlOutput component and manually enter the connection information, then create a tMap and enter the target columns manually, I am able to insert data into the target table successfully. Then if I close TOS and re-open the same job, all the components associated with postgres are shown as missing. I'm able to connect from host to guest to the database using various tools that use JDBC, without issue. At this point, I'm totally stumped. Any help would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES

Re: Unable to Retrieve Schema for Postgres database

Hi,
What's your Windows 7 version? 32 bit or 64? and your JDK?
If I then select the connection and try to retrieve the schema, I get a connection failure dialog. When I look at the details I see java.lang.RuntimeException: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "xxxxxxx".

Did you follow up document TalendHelpCenterSmiley Frustratedetting up a database connection to set up DB connection?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

I'm running Win7 64bit. Following is the java info:
>java -version
java version "1.7.0_51"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_51-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)
Since my original post, I've also installed TOS 5.4.1 directly on the Linux VM which contains the postgres database. I encounter the same problem. I think that it may have something to do with the password getting encrypted. I tried to manually create a tPostgresqlInput component specify all the connection information, including username and password. When I select the ... button for Table Name, I get the same error, but have the option to select the "Set parameters and continue" button. When I do that, in the Password text box is see "#?cVG6" ( 11 characters of non-print characters). If I overkey that with with the actual password, the "Select Table Name" dialog pops up and shows the database and the tables correctly.
Seventeen Stars

It is hard to find out where your password get lost but this is a fact. Everything works fine but gets a wrong password and this for sure a problem of your particular configuration or project. It would be fine if you export all items and send it as attachment to us. In this case I would be able to help you.
What I can tell you for sure: Even in the latest releases of Talend DI the prostgresql database connections and metadata facility works fine for me under Linux and under Mac OS X and of course under Windows (unfortunately my customer prefers Windows....)

Hi,
We have made a testing on TOS DI 5.4.1, Windows 7, however, everything is going well.
You can open a work item jira issue about encrypted password problem on Talend Bug Tracker, our developer will check it.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Hi, facing somewhat similar behaviour. As I don't know if any bugs have been filed yet...
-Talend  open studio data integration 5.5.1
-Ubuntu (14.04 trusty) with LXDE environment
-Java SE Runtime Environment 1.7.0_67 (Oracle) 
-AWS recommended driver for JDBC in use.
-AWS RedShift (redshift is based on postgresql)
-I have tested the DB Connection and it works
I have desktop linux machine running in AWS with Talend. Working on an ETL solution to load some data into RedShift. Now I'm greatly stuck with retrieve schema under "Metadata" -> "DB Connections". Retrieval just never completes when table check boxes are selected. Some complete successfully some just say in "Pending" state for ever.
Here's screenshot:

Perhaps internal deadlock associated with limited resource consumption. Any help is welcome.
Regards,
Juha