Tutorial issue: Job compile error

Five Stars

Tutorial issue: Job compile error

Hi, I searched for this on Google, but the solution was on the old forums, and I also read the old forums were archived instead of migrated here, which I assume is the new version (I think it wasn't a clever decision to dump so many solved issues for a Joomla!-looking forum UI, but that's just my opinion), thus I couldn't read the solution and had to come here to ask again.

Long story short, I followed the tutorial step by step: Create input and output components, add a mapper and propagate data from a pre-built CSV to an empty one. All good until I press run and it returns some odd error in code which is likely caused by me skipping some step.

Screenshot_1.png

The error pops on the output file component, can someone point me in the right direction here?

PS: The tag system is really awkward.

Accepted Solutions
Eight Stars

Re: Tutorial issue: Job compile error

It's hard to diagnose without more information, but usually that error means you have a typo in the parameters for that component (e.g. an extra ")"). Have you enclosed all the parameters that will be referenced by Java in quotes? That's a mistake I've made multiple times Man Happy

Good luck!

David

View solution in original post

All Replies
Eight Stars

It's hard to diagnose without more information, but usually that error means you have a typo in the parameters for that component (e.g. an extra ")"). Have you enclosed all the parameters that will be referenced by Java in quotes? That's a mistake I've made multiple times Man Happy

Good luck!

David

View solution in original post

Five Stars

Thanks for the quick answer.

I checked again and it seems the output file path NEEDS quotes for some reason. I thought it would be parsed properly in the code behind.

Rather counter-intuitive, that was the solution exactly.
Highlighted
Ten Stars

The platform needs to interpret string literals and variables (or both) in component settings, and one or the other needs a delimiter. Talend's design choice hews closely to the Java code it creates, with string literals wrapped with quotes and variables without.

2019 GARNER MAGIC QUADRANT FOR DATA INTEGRATION TOOL

Talend named a Leader.

Get your copy

OPEN STUDIO FOR DATA INTEGRATION

Kickstart your first data integration and ETL projects.

Download now

What’s New for Talend Summer ’19

Watch the recorded webinar!

Watch Now

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 1

Learn how to do cool things with Context Variables

Blog

Migrate Data from one Database to another with one Job using the Dynamic Schema

Find out how to migrate from one database to another using the Dynamic schema

Blog

Best Practices for Using Context Variables with Talend – Part 4

Pick up some tips and tricks with Context Variables