Four Stars

Tracking a project in git

I would like to track the Talend's 6.3 project in git.

My dillemma is that I don't know which files to put to .gitignore ?

• Data Integration
9 REPLIES
Seven Stars

Re: Tracking a project in git

As I understand (do the same now) - nothing

and unfortunately not only project folder, but whole workspace (including hidden folders)

-----------
Four Stars

Why should I track entrire workspace? I only need to track one project.

Seven Stars

if You enable display hidden files (on windows) or run on (Linux, MacOS)

ls -lA

You will see - some hidden folders, this folders not empty and have data common for all Your projectsScreen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.48.38 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.49.42 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.52.57 PM.png

-----------
Four Stars

So is there are way to track a Talend project in git? Which files if any should I put in .gitignore?

Seven Stars

are You just need - add something to .gitignore? Smiley Wink

If You want save (and than retrieve) full status - store whole .metadata

I can't tell You more - all look, like You can store only selected project folder, and I have experience - transfer Jobs between my computers by this way, all was fine, but I do not have experience - what could be potential problem if do this.

Think Talend team do not answer for this question by clean reasons :-), so wait - may be somebody other answer.

-----------
Eight Stars

Yes, I'm hoping to hear others' solutions to applying version control to projects in the open tools.
Four Stars

I use Git to track projects within my Talend workspace. I currently use Atlassian's Bitbucket Server to host my repo's. I also use Atlassian Sourcetree in order to perform commits, branching and merging, it works very well.

With regards to .gitignore, I use the following: 

*.screenshot
/temp
code/routines/system/

I have had no problems at all with it, and it works fine.

In order to setup a new repository, here is what I typically do:

1. Create repository on Bitbucket Server.
  2. Clone the repository onto my local machine. Doing this creates a folder in my workspace. 
  3. Create a new project in Talend, and point the directory to the same folder created in step 2.
  4. When ready to commit, I usually close Talend down completely* and commit using SourceTree, (make sure to add the .gitignore!)

On the other hand, you can create your project in Talend, and when ready to push to git, do it the other way by creating a git repository using existing files.

* It is fine to commit while Talend is still open, however I have found that when closing Talend, it makes changes to certain files and obviously Git then sees these file changes. I like to keep my  commits clean and reduce the need for any unnecessary commits.

Hope this helps!

Four Stars

I don't understand why your .gitignore looks like that?

Four Stars

• *.screenshot files can be ignored, they are like design caches of the job and they are simply recreated when the job design is modified.
  • temp folder can be ignored as it only stores temporary files.
  • /code/routines/system/ can be ignored as TOS creates it again at the time of import