Teradata JDBC Connection Failure

Highlighted
Not applicable

Teradata JDBC Connection Failure

In trying to test-drive version 6.1.0 of Talend Open Studio for Big Data Unable I'm unable to successfully create a database connection to Teradata using Talend's JDBC module. I've made sure the necessary JDBC jars are installed, and can't connect using either DB Type of Teradata or General JDBC:

Here are the details:
Connection failure. You must change the Database Settings.
 java.lang.RuntimeException: java.sql.SQLException:
 Login failure for Connection to xxxxxxxxxxxx Tue Dec 15 15:58:33 CST 2015 socket orig=xxxxxxxxxxxx cid=5dacc9c2 sess=0 java.net.SocketException: Connection reset  
 at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)  
 at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.readSocksReply(Unknown Source)  
 at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)  
 at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)  
 at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF$ConnectThread.run(TDNetworkIOIF.java:1217)  
     at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.JDBCDriverLoader.getConnection(JDBCDriverLoader.java:195)
     at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataUtils.connect(ExtractMetaDataUtils.java:1089)
     at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.testConnection(ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.java:314)
     at org.talend.metadata.managment.repository.ManagerConnection.check(ManagerConnection.java:272)
     at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.connection.database.DatabaseForm$31.runWithCancel(DatabaseForm.java:2674)
     at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.connection.database.DatabaseForm$31.runWithCancel(DatabaseForm.java:1)
     at org.talend.repository.ui.dialog.AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel$1.runnableWithCancel(AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel.java:77)
     at org.talend.repository.ui.dialog.AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel$ARunnableWithProgressCancel$1.call(AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel.java:161)
     at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
 Caused by: java.sql.SQLException:
 Login failure for Connection to xxxxxxxxxxxx Tue Dec 15 15:58:33 CST 2015 socket orig=xxxxxxxxxxxx cid=5dacc9c2 sess=0 java.net.SocketException: Connection reset  
 at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF$ConnectThread.run(TDNetworkIOIF.java:1217)  
     at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorFactory.makeDriverJDBCException(ErrorFactory.java:94)
     at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorFactory.makeDriverJDBCException(ErrorFactory.java:69)
     at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorFactory.makeIoJDBCException(ErrorFactory.java:207)
     at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorAnalyzer.analyzeIoError(ErrorAnalyzer.java:59)
     at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.createSocketConnection(TDNetworkIOIF.java:155)
     at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.<init>(TDNetworkIOIF.java:134)
     at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.GenericTeradataConnection.getIO(GenericTeradataConnection.java:116)
     at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.GenericLogonController.run(GenericLogonController.java:98)
     at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.TDSession.<init>(TDSession.java:208)
     at com.teradata.jdbc.jdk6.JDK6_SQL_Connection.<init>(JDK6_SQL_Connection.java:35)
     at com.teradata.jdbc.jdk6.JDK6ConnectionFactory.constructSQLConnection(JDK6ConnectionFactory.java:25)
     at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:179)
     at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:169)
     at com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver.doConnect(TeraDriver.java:232)
     at com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver.connect(TeraDriver.java:158)
     at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.DriverShim.connect(DriverShim.java:41)
     at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.JDBCDriverLoader.getConnection(JDBCDriverLoader.java:186)
     ... 9 more
 Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

Please note that these Teradata JDBC drivers work perfectly with other applications I use every day such as Teradata Studio. 

Re: Teradata JDBC Connection Failure

Hi,
Are the Teradata DB and your bigdata studio on the same machine?
If not, have you already checked your network to see if it is Ok with you?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Not applicable

Hi xdishi;
Thanks for prompt reply. Teradata DB is on a remote LINUX server. Instance of Talend Open Studio 64 is on my local (Windows 7 64-bit) client. Most every day, from this same client I connect to remote Teradata DB through Eclipse (Mars.1(4.5.1)) or with Teradata Studio - which is built on Eclipse - in both cases using the same Teradata JDBC driver. As Talend Open Studio 64 is also built on Eclipse, I was thinking it too should be able to connect from my desktop using same Teradata JDBC driver.
I'm ultimately wanting to evaluate Talend Big Data Integration; if it's not feasible to connect Talend Open Studio 64 to my remote Teradata DB, could I do this using Talend Big Data Sandbox? Please advise.
Cheers
Dave
Not applicable

Update: None of my JDBC drivers that work in Eclipse, including Teradata and Oracle, work through Talend Open Studio 64. It must have some fundamental setting which could correct this. Now trying Talend 5.6.1 Sandbox.
Dave