Four Stars

Talend updates job's .properties file, even when job closed without modification

Hi!

I recently installed Talend Open Studio Di 7.0.1 and noticed that the job's .properties file "modified_date" field is updated every time I close a job, even when I just opened it for a quick look and not touched a single component in it.

It's really uncomfortable, since my workspace is in a SVN repo, and SVN (rightfully) thinks that I need to commit my changes, when I just opened jobs for have a quick look.

The following node changes in the .properties file:

<additionalProperties xmi:id="_SiQJpWPgEeiKL_XT0-SypA" key="modified_date" value="2018-05-31T15:09:05.993+0200"/>

Is there a solution/workaround to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance,

-Tibor

6 REPLIES
Fifteen Stars

Re: Talend updates job's .properties file, even when job closed without modification

When you open the job do you move any components and does a star (*) appear next to the job name in the Studio job tab? If so, it is going to require saving when you close it. Don't save it. If it requires saving with absolutely no changes (even moving a component from one location and back to the original will constitute a change), then this is a bug. Can you do a test of the above and see if this is the cause? Opening a job and making no changes should not cause any changes at all to the properties file.

Rilhia Solutions
Four Stars

Re: Talend updates job's .properties file, even when job closed without modification

Thanks for your reply,

Unfortunately, this is not the case. I open it and then close without any modification, and I don't even move components. Those changes you described would affect the job's .item file, and in my case the .item file is not affected just the .properties. There is no star next to the job name either in this case.

Fifteen Stars

Yes, those changes would have affected the .item file as well. I've just carried out a test to double check the functionality in v6.2. This looks to be a bug in v7 as long as absolutely no changes are taking place, as you are suggesting. In which case, it should be raised. If you have the Enterprise Edition (with support) it would be useful to raise this. Otherwise maybe @shong or @xdshi can look into this?

Rilhia Solutions
Fifteen Stars

If you are wanting to escape this behaviour, I would suggest going to a v6 version for a while until this is resolved (if it turns out to be bug). You can easily upgrade your project when a more stable of v7 is around. Earlier versions of major releases tend to have a few teething troubles. I tend to hang back in upgrading until v#.2 is around :-)

Rilhia Solutions
Four Stars

You are right, as in v6.2 the modified_date field was not even present in the .properties file, therefore the file itself did not change from a simple job open - job close procedure. I'm using the Open Studio btw.

Fifteen Stars

I think it may have been renamed from modificationDate. To be honest I don't usually focus on these files unless I am wanting to quickly analyse my projects to see if certain settings are applied in my jobs (I have a few jobs which can analyse the XML in these files....which may need changing if there are changes). But the modificationDate is certainly in v6.2, but with a different name....

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xmi:XMI xmi:version="2.0" xmlns:xmi="http://www.omg.org/XMI" xmlns:TalendProperties="http://www.talend.org/properties">
  <TalendProperties:Property xmi:id="_T7wuACt4EeS1D_JaxdWyZA" id="_T7qAUCt4EeS1D_JaxdWyZA" label="AMC_Schema_Creation" creationDate="2014-08-24T12:20:46.172+0100" modificationDate="2016-06-15T22:20:04.545+0100" version="0.1" statusCode="" item="_T7xVESt4EeS1D_JaxdWyZA" displayName="AMC_Schema_Creation">
    <author href="../talend.project#_UvLw8EMqEee2ne3vgQ1DPQ"/>
  </TalendProperties:Property>
  <TalendProperties:ItemState xmi:id="_iN_qAEMrEee2ne3vgQ1DPQ" path=""/>
  <TalendProperties:ProcessItem xmi:id="_T7xVESt4EeS1D_JaxdWyZA" property="_T7wuACt4EeS1D_JaxdWyZA" state="_iN_qAEMrEee2ne3vgQ1DPQ">
    <process href="AMC_Schema_Creation_0.1.item#/"/>
  </TalendProperties:ProcessItem>
</xmi:XMI>

Hopefully this is a bug and not a new *feature* as this will be a pain with SVN :-)

Rilhia Solutions