Talend studio ESB: Run a route without setting up Talend Runtime

Six Stars

Talend studio ESB: Run a route without setting up Talend Runtime

Hi, 

I have been developing ESB routes from sometime and running them from Talend studio ( enterprise edition). 

today, I realized that I haven't setup the Talend runtime/ESB container specifically on my machine. 

I.e when I go to Window -> Preferences -> Talend -> run/debug ->  ESB Runtime, I see that "ESB STudio Runtime" check box is unchecked. and I don't see any Talend esb\container folder on my machine. 

Can someone explain how the routes are running in such a case? If I haven't setup a karaf container, how are the routes running on my studio? 

Ps: I played so much with the esb routes, that it may be possible that I removed the container folder at some point with out realizing it. I just can't remember how I set it up. 

Thanks,

Sowjanya. 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee

Re: Talend studio ESB: Run a route without setting up Talend Runtime

You should indeed set up a local Talend Runtime. This can be done using the Preferences dialog. It requires the Talend Runtime zip found in your license email / Talend Software downloads. Follow the instructions at https://help.talend.com/reader/fE51zt3EBkq3lp1Op6DPEw/mK~7gaiPwgyqLCBi3hA_uw

Best

Thomas Steinborn
VP Product Management
Tags (2)

All Replies
Sixteen Stars

When you are testing routes in your Studio, it creates a pseudo runtime environment. Essentially it emulates the runtime. I've always recommended carrying out initial testing on the Studio, then compiling and running in a runtime on the developer machine before promoting anywhere else. There is always a slight difference in behaviour between the Studio and a proper runtime.

Highlighted
Employee

You should indeed set up a local Talend Runtime. This can be done using the Preferences dialog. It requires the Talend Runtime zip found in your license email / Talend Software downloads. Follow the instructions at https://help.talend.com/reader/fE51zt3EBkq3lp1Op6DPEw/mK~7gaiPwgyqLCBi3hA_uw

Best

Thomas Steinborn
VP Product Management
Tags (2)