Talend - Tortoise SVN Problem

Four Stars

Talend - Tortoise SVN Problem

Hello Everybody

Talend won't work for me as fine as i thought.

I created a Talend project in my java workspace and pushed it into svn with the tortoise svn client.

Now I try to checkout this project and open it with my talend 6.1 client. This doesn't work. If I check the project out I have to choose between the options talend gives me.

Unbenannt.PNG

In my opinion I have to import the project, but if I do that it tells me to give the project a new name. If I give the same name like the Project Folder i get a 

java.lang.NullPointerException at org.talend.repository.ui.actions.import project.ImportProjectsUtilities.afterImportAs(ImportProjectsUtilities.java:109)

If I take another name it creates a new folder, which loses the connection to svn.

Could somebody pls help me?

Thank you a lot. 

Sixteen Stars

Re: Talend - Tortoise SVN Problem

You need to create the project with the Studio and then add it to SVN if you are using the Open Source Edition. 

Four Stars

Hello rhall_2_0

Thank you for your Reply.

I wrote, that I created the Project with the Talend Client. What do you mean with Studio?

Sixteen Stars

I wasn't sure whether you just created a folder manually in your workspace folder or whether you created a project with the Studio. The Studio is what I suspect you call the client.

If you create a project with the Studio and actually do some work in it (create a job, for example) can you shut down the Studio and then re-open it BEFORE you add it to SVN? If so, try adding that project to SVN and then try to load that Project in the Studio again. If it fails to open in the Studio after you have added it to SVN, we will need to see the contents of the Project folder. If the Project fails to open BEFORE you load it to SVN, there is a problem with your Studio install.

Four Stars

I crated a new project, added a job, closed the talend client and opened the project again. That worked fine.

After that I have imported the project on SVN, closed the talend client and opened the project again. This worked also fine.

Finally I checked the project out on another computer in the talend workspace and tried to import this project. This went wrong.

Sixteen Stars

OK, this is not a good way of working if you do not have the TAC. The TAC will "lock" jobs while another developer is working on it (you cannot have multiple developers working on the same job at the same time). I suspect that this issue is caused by a unique id for your Studio not matching the project you are trying to import. I think in the Open Source environment you are going to have to have a SVN for each developer and manually import updated jobs once inside the Studio. One of the key advantages of the Enterprise Edition is this functionality.

Four Stars

Okay so can I resume that there is no possibility to work on the same project from two different laptops with Talend Open Studio and SVN?

Sixteen Stars

I'd say that you can probably hack it to do it, but it will be dangerous. As I said, this is supported by the Enterprise Edition. What you could do is keep individual workspaces for each developer and export/import your jobs using the Studio's import/export mechanism. Then you would simply need to keep a log of which developer has the latest version of code and share it when you're happy with it. 

Not ideal, but SVN is simply used as a repository of code and none of the code merging is supported by Talend