One Star

Talend Job Migration to Production -Steps

Hi
I am new to using Talend.Currently we have created a couple of Talend Jobs in DEV server and wanted to move to
Production server.
I happened to see in this forum discussions that "SVN" is used for production.What does SVN stands for?
Currently i have access to Talend Administrator Console.
Under Settings -> Configurations -> SVN it is marked as Errors for server_location_url
Settings -> Configurations -> Database it is marked as Errors for Web Console.
Our DB is MYSQL.
Do we have any documentation to know so that we can set these parameters right?
After i export the jobs from the DEV server what is the process to import in the Production box?
We have Talend Team Edition and have a Talend Support team to help us out.
But wanted to check if you guys have documentation so that we can make use of it.
Please do help us on this so that we can move the code ASAP to production.
Thanks
Ramki
2 REPLIES
One Star

Re: Talend Job Migration to Production -Steps

Hi Ramki,
SVN stands for subversion. It used for code control. Useful if several people are making changes to jobs. It is not strictly required to migrate to production.
To a certain degree it depends on your architecture, but generally it comes down to 2 things: 1) Where is the Talend Job being executed, and 2) Where are the databases the jobs are pointing to.
Part 1 - Talend Job Migration
If you have multiple ETL Servers (example, 1 for dev and 1 for production) do the following:
In the dev server,
1) Right click on Job Designs and choose Export Items
2) Click radio button to "Select Archive File" and browse (or enter) a file path and .zip file name
3) Make sure "Export Dependencies" is checked
4) Select the folders/jobs to be exported
5) Click finish
Copy the file to the production ETL server
In the production ETL server
1) Right click on Jobs and select Import Items
2) Click radio button to "Select Archive File" and browse (or enter) a file path and .zip file name
3) Select all and click Finish
Proceed to Database migration
Part 2 - Pointing to the Prod database
1) Change the database connection parameters (host, port, dbname, user, pw) for your job inputs and outputs to point to the production database server
Now if you have a lot of jobs, Part 2 can be a real pain if you have to manually edit every input and output. To avoid this, it is better to create a context group with connection variables and then add contexts for each environment (DEV and PROD). If you use this in conjunction with Metadata Db Connections in the jobs, you can just change the context for the metadata connection, and all jobs using that metadata will be updated. Much cleaner.
Thanks,
Ben
One Star

Re: Talend Job Migration to Production -Steps

Thank you very much Ben for your valuable input.I will try out the same.
Thanks
Ramki