Talend Integration with SVN

One Star

Talend Integration with SVN

Dears,
I'm trying to integrate SVN with Talend, I have
Talend 5
Visual SVN 2.5.9.
Tortoise SVN 1.7.12
I checked out my workspace to SVN, and can access it successfully.
But, what i'm worry about is the scenario where two team members works on the same file. Sure, a conflict will be dedicated when trying to commit and reseolving a conflict will not be an easy and secure task.
The other option, is to get lock before starting work on your files. But again others will not know about this lock till they commit their work to SVN. Because Tortoise SVN doesn't show this lock icon for locked files by others even if you make update before starting your work!!!
Also, there is no SVN plugin for Talend GUI, which can detect if file is locked and show that from the tool and prevent any modification on it.
Any ideas for best practice of using SVN or other version control are welcome.
Thanks.
Seventeen Stars

Re: Talend Integration with SVN

At first, Talend offers a Team edition. This is an entry level for working in teams.
I have tried to work with SVN and the Open Studio Edition. We did that by export and import items but to be honest, this is a very error prone solution.
You define a locale directory and bind that to an SVN repository (Tortoise). All developers starts they work with svn-update + import this directory and after finish the work they export +svn-commit into that directory.
I did that for y customer in an evaluation phase of the project but it is no fun, I tell you.
One Star

Dear Jlolling,
Thank you for uour update, i know it will not be an easy task but in my situation we can't update our Talend version.
So, we need to investigate more in SVN option. Before i worked with SVN (Java Projects, SQL scripts) and it was my best practice. But i don't know why there is complexity in case of Talend and resolving conflict is not easy as it is done on the level of GUI.
Any way thanks for help.

Can you simply commit your exported jobs (jar files and all) to SVN? This would eliminate a lot of the painful complexity in merging the items/properties.
One Star

Hi,
I use TIS 3.2 and when I try to the administration center web GUI I have those errors:

org.talend.commons.exception.PersistenceException: Cannot connect to project with url 'http://my_server_ip-address/svn/repotisdwh/PRES_HLR'
at org.talend.repository.remoteprovider.RemoteRepositoryFactory.delegateBeforeLogon2(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.remoteprovider.RemoteRepositoryFactory.delegateBeforeLogon(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.remoteprovider.RemoteRepositoryFactory.beforeLogon(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.model.ProxyRepositoryFactory.logOnProject(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.ui.login.LoginDialog$1.run(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)
Caused by: org.talend.commons.exception.PersistenceException: org.tigris.subversion.javahl.ClientException: svn: connection refused by the server
svn: OPTIONS request failed on '/svn/repotisdwh/PRES_HLR'
at org.talend.repository.svnprovider.SvnEclipseHandler.info(Unknown Source)
at org.talend.repository.svnprovider.SvnProjectUrlCheck.check(Unknown Source)
... 6 more
Caused by: org.tigris.subversion.javahl.ClientException: svn: connection refused by the server
at org.tigris.subversion.javahl.JavaHLObjectFactory.throwException(JavaHLObjectFactory.java:777)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.javahl.SVNClientImpl.throwException(SVNClientImpl.java:1850)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.javahl.SVNClientImpl.info(SVNClientImpl.java:1598)
at org.talend.repository.svnprovider.SvnHandler.info(Unknown Source)
... 8 more
Caused by: org.tmatesoft.svn.core.SVNException: svn: connection refused by the server
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc.SVNErrorManager.error(SVNErrorManager.java:106)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.wc.SVNErrorManager.error(SVNErrorManager.java:90)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.http.HTTPConnection.request(HTTPConnection.java:628)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.http.HTTPConnection.request(HTTPConnection.java:274)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.http.HTTPConnection.request(HTTPConnection.java:262)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.DAVConnection.exchangeCapabilities(DAVConnection.java:516)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.DAVConnection.open(DAVConnection.java:98)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.DAVRepository.openConnection(DAVRepository.java:999)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.io.dav.DAVRepository.getLatestRevision(DAVRepository.java:178)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.wc.SVNBasicClient.getRevisionNumber(SVNBasicClient.java:482)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.wc.SVNBasicClient.getLocations(SVNBasicClient.java:851)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.wc.SVNBasicClient.createRepository(SVNBasicClient.java:534)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.wc.SVNWCClient.doInfo(SVNWCClient.java:2567)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.wc.SVNWCClient.doInfo(SVNWCClient.java:2899)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.javahl.SVNClientImpl.info(SVNClientImpl.java:1591)
... 9 more
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(Unknown Source)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(Unknown Source)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Unknown Source)
at org.tmatesoft.svn.core.internal.util.SVNSocketConnection.run(SVNSocketConnection.java:57)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Any suggestions?
Thanks all!!
Seventeen Stars

Yes I have a suggestion: Beliefe in what you can read in the origin exception: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
This means simply there is no TCP connection possible in the way you have configured it.
You could test your connection simply with a telnet. If the connection can be established, you got it.
telnet my_server_ip-address 80
I guess your SVN server is listening on a different port than 80 or your IP address is wrong or not reachable from your host.

Hi Adrson,
Did you contact to TAC successfully before? Did you deploy Talend Administration Center on an application server?
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.