Six Stars

Talend IDE application very slow to run, load and save

Our company has recently rolled out new machines for all developers. I was previously using a Linux-based machine (openSUSE), and now I am on Windows 10.

I have installed talend on the new machine and I am finding it very slow to do anything with. I timed it and it takes about 11 minutes to start up, then three more minutes to open a job.

It even took a few minutes to create a folder for jobs to go in, with the program becoming unresponsive as it loaded this. I have looked around the web and found that I can increase the memory accessible to talend as described here:

https://help.talend.com/reader/27hAfiXCFEc6pdWI2oJJ0g/5rVD0GlPh9TcS77H~wTmaQ

But this has not had the desired effect. My .ini currently looks like this:

-vm
C:\Program Files (x86)\Talend-Studio\jre1.8.0_91\bin\server\jvm.dll
-vmargs
-Xms512m
-Xmx2048m
-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.8
-XX:+UseG1GC
-XX:+UseStringDeduplication
-XX:+MaxPermSize=512m

It has been suggested by some of my colleagues that it might be our network or background scanning services on the new machine, but I am out of my depth here and would appreciate any advice or information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Six Stars

Re: Talend IDE application very slow to run, load and save

Hi there,

You'll find that virus/malware software running in the background on your machine will have a hugely detrimental effect on the load times, and performance of any large Java application like Eclipse/Talend.

There are many thousands of individual files loaded when Talend starts up, and by default they will all be scanned by most background scanning solutions.

Many of the .jar files will be pretty big, and as these are compressed archives, your scanning software needs to decompress these and check all of the individual files they content. One .jar file can contain thousands of files, so the time taken very quickly mounts up.

If your Talend application folder and/or workspace is located on the network, rather than your local machine, then obviously network performance will also affect this, often quite significantly.

These two combined could easily explain what you're seeing, although taking a few minutes to create a folder does seem ridiculous.

Depending on the scanning solution(s) you have running on your PC, you should be able to whitelist folders (in this case the entire Talend application folder) but will almost certainly be able to whilelist file types, and doing this for .jar files, ideally those just in the Talend application folder, will help a lot.

Regards,

Chris

3 REPLIES
Six Stars

Hi there,

You'll find that virus/malware software running in the background on your machine will have a hugely detrimental effect on the load times, and performance of any large Java application like Eclipse/Talend.

There are many thousands of individual files loaded when Talend starts up, and by default they will all be scanned by most background scanning solutions.

Many of the .jar files will be pretty big, and as these are compressed archives, your scanning software needs to decompress these and check all of the individual files they content. One .jar file can contain thousands of files, so the time taken very quickly mounts up.

If your Talend application folder and/or workspace is located on the network, rather than your local machine, then obviously network performance will also affect this, often quite significantly.

These two combined could easily explain what you're seeing, although taking a few minutes to create a folder does seem ridiculous.

Depending on the scanning solution(s) you have running on your PC, you should be able to whitelist folders (in this case the entire Talend application folder) but will almost certainly be able to whilelist file types, and doing this for .jar files, ideally those just in the Talend application folder, will help a lot.

Regards,

Chris

Six Stars

The program actually improved dramatically after a few days of use, I am assuming it is because the background scan has gotten through most of the files and so is no longer bogging things down so much. That said I am still going to try and get in touch with the system administrators to have it whitelisted and I will report back here with my findings of how that affects things.
Six Stars

Got the program and workspace whitelisted... it runs like butter now. Night and day. Thanks again ciw1973.