Talend Compare Result: How to find changed components in a job?

Highlighted
Five Stars

Talend Compare Result: How to find changed components in a job?

I'm using Talend Studio's compare result feature to try to compare two jobs to look at differences.  The motivation is a pull request where I need to do a code review.  The compare operation works and two palettes open up: one for the existing code and one from the code from the pull request.  What I'm can't figure out is how to see which components have changed.  Is there some sort of highlighting available?  Otherwise, in a non-trivial job, it's hard (actually, all but impossible) to find the differences to be reviewed.

Tags (2)
Six Stars

Re: Talend Compare Result: How to find changed components in a job?

Hey,

I'm not an expert on this topic and maybe it's not the best solution, but it could work in the Talend Open Studio if you'd create a git repository in the workspace where the jobs are stored: e.g \TOS_ESB-20180411_1414-V7.0.1\Studio\workspace\LOCAL_PROJECT\process\ and commit the changes after the jobs are modified and saved. Then you can compare the Job's XML descriptor.

Best,

Zoltán

Five Stars

Re: Talend Compare Result: How to find changed components in a job?

Yeah, that's the problem actually.  I started with the XML comparison, found e.g. some java code that was modified.  Then I wanted to find the actual job component so I could more easily view the diffs.  What I hoped for was that the compare function would highlight the changed components in the palette for easy identification.  Sort of like how SSMS does when comparing execution plans.  

Anyone else know if there's a better way?  Ultimately I want to do code reviews and add comments that are visible in the palette for issues.

What’s New for Talend Spring ’19

Join us live for a sneak peek!

Definitive Guide to Data Quality

Create systems and workflow to manage clean data ingestion and data transformation.

Download

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Watch

Downloads and Trials

Test drive Talend's enterprise products.

Downloads