TOS - MS SQL Spaces in Column Names

One Star

TOS - MS SQL Spaces in Column Names

I have a MS SQL database which contains spaces and non-alphanumeric characters in the column names (e.g. "First Name", ") in some tables and I'm unsure how to create a table schema to properly handle them.
Inside Talend Open Studio I have made a Db Connection to the database. After this I right click the connection and select "Retrieve Schemas". I leave the default settings for "Filter for the Table" screen and click next. From the "Add a Schema on repository" screen I choose the table I would like and click next. On the final page I've tried a few things with the following results:
I've left it as generated, with spaces in the column names -> Compilation fails because spaces/special chars aren't valid in Java identifiers.
I've tried replacing the spaces with underscores ('_') in the "Column" column -> Use of the schema fails because there are no columns named with underscores.
I've tried replacing the spaces with underscores ('_') in the "Column" column and changing the "Db Column" to retain spaces -> Use of the schema fails because there are no columns named with underscores. Apparently "Db Column" isn't used the way I thought it would.
I've tried enclosing the column names with square brackets (''), single-quotes ('''), and double-quotes ('"') -> I get an alert saying the column name is invalid.
How might I got correctly defining the schema?
One Star

Re: TOS - MS SQL Spaces in Column Names

If it makes any difference, I'm using Talend Open Studio 4.1.1.r50363 on Windows 7
One Star

Hi,
In the schema definition, for "Column" replace space with underscore and for "Db Column" retain the column name as is. It is the column name which is used in Talend for row schema definition. The Db Column is used while accessing the database.
Attaching screen shots (this is for an Oracle schema).
Regards,
Abhi
One Star

Thank you, iterator. What you describe is actually what I had already tried:
I've tried replacing the spaces with underscores ('_') in the "Column" column and changing the "Db Column" to retain spaces -> Use of the schema fails because there are no columns named with underscores. Apparently "Db Column" isn't used the way I thought it would.

But I went back to try again anyway and it worked!
It seems my problem was that when you edit the "Db Name" column in a schema, the changes DO NOT get propagated to existing components as I was expecting. Removing and re-inserting the components I was using (tMSSqlInput) showed the new updated "Db Name"s
Do you think this is bug worthy or is this something (Db Column name changes not propagating to components) I should have expected to happen?
Seven Stars

I would expect such a changes to propagate, but then it does for me (v4.0.3). Time to try again? Smiley Wink
One Star

Same problem I am having setting Metadata in TOS integration studio, for some reason the TOS studio seems to encounter error in JDBC driver when parsing a space between table and column names even though metadata itself is mapped to column_0 and column name is mapped as "column 0",  I have tried moving it to still the same problem.