One Star

TIS + SVN

Hi,
My company has bought licence for TIS 3.0.2.
We have installed Talend Enterprise Editition to use several TIS connected to a SVN repository.
1/ All developpers make their commits with same login in SVN, is there a solution to avoid that ? we want to know who make a commit in the repository.
2/ Talend makes a commit for each "CTRL + S" done in a job. It is slow, and it makes too much commits. Is it possible to handle commit manually ? We want to commit when we have decided to do it, not automatically.
3/ For each commit, we need to add mandatory properties, like "Id tracker". TortoiseSVN is able to handle this kind of properties. How can we add that in TIS ?

Thanks
Best Regards,
Jean-Marie
7 REPLIES
Employee

Re: TIS + SVN

1/ All developpers make their commits with same login in SVN, is there a solution to avoid that ? we want to know who make a commit in the repository.

We've decided to make things simple for this very first SVN version of the repository in TIS 3.0. In the future, we may work the way you ask, can you create a feature request, it is the best way for wishes to become reality.
Currently, you can see who is responsible of a commit, by reading the log message:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
r5 | (no author) | 2008-10-09 11:14:20 +0200 (Thu, 09 Oct 2008) | 11 lines
User 'plegall@talend.org' at 11:13:18 CEST 2008-10-09 :
Log on project 'SVN Project 2'
Create sqlpatterns folder 'Generic' at path '' in project 'SVN Projet 2'
Create sqlpatterns folder 'UserDefined' at path 'Generic' in project 'SVN Projet 2'
Create sqlpatterns folder 'MySQL' at path '' in project 'SVN Projet 2'
Create sqlpatterns folder 'UserDefined' at path 'MySQL' in project 'SVN Projet 2'
Create sqlpatterns folder 'Teradata' at path '' in project 'SVN Projet 2'
Create sqlpatterns folder 'UserDefined' at path 'Teradata' in project 'SVN Projet 2'
Create sqlpatterns folder 'Oracle' at path '' in project 'SVN Projet 2'
Create sqlpatterns folder 'UserDefined' at path 'Oracle' in project 'SVN Projet 2'
r4 | (no author) | 2008-10-09 11:14:16 +0200 (Thu, 09 Oct 2008) | 5 lines
User 'smallet@talend.org' at 11:13:17 CEST 2008-10-09 :
Apply migrations on project 'SVN Project 2'
- migration org.talend.repository.localprovider.RemoveRoutineFolderTask
- migration org.talend.repository.localprovider.model.migration.ChangeXmiSerialization
r3 | (no author) | 2008-10-09 11:14:15 +0200 (Thu, 09 Oct 2008) | 3 lines
User 'smallet@talend.org' at 11:13:16 CEST 2008-10-09 :
Create project 'SVN Project 2'

So you can parse the Subversion log messages to get the information you need. Does something like a "TIS repository monitoring" activity would be useful? (this can be another feature request).
2/ Talend makes a commit for each "CTRL + S" done in a job. It is slow, and it makes too much commits. Is it possible to handle commit manually ? We want to commit when we have decided to do it, not automatically.

How "slow" is it? (how many seconds does it take approximately?)
The "don't commit at each CTRL+S but when user explicitely asks to" method has also been discussed but rejected because not simple enough (for the first version). May I suggest you to create another feature requests?
We know it makes many commits. How many revisions do you already have in your Subversion repository? I've seen SVN repositories with more than 100k revisions and they still run pretty well.
Maybe you should not consider the TIS SVN repository as a coding repository (where developers directly perform commits and updates) but as a backend for TIS sharing repository. I don't think we can expect the same readibility than a usual coding repository (even if we've tried to make things as readable as possible, it's not a "black box").
3/ For each commit, we need to add mandatory properties, like "Id tracker". TortoiseSVN is able to handle this kind of properties. How can we add that in TIS ?

That's a very interesting point. I suppose you have an issue tracker application where problems related to jobs produced with TIS are collected, and you would like semi-automatic relationship between TIS and the issue tracker. One more time, please create a feature request for this (I'm not responsible if you make interesting suggestions in a single post ;-)
Thank you for your feedback about TIS+SVN, we've worked quite a lot on this feature and we would like to reach a maximum of statisfaction from users :-)
One Star

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I will create feature requests for these three features.
Reading the log could be enough for the moment. But for the future, a different login by developer will be necessary, in order to match our quality rules.
I think a webpage "TIS repository monitoring" wouldn't fit our needs, because our project is not fully made with Talend. (others developpers use TortoiseSVN). So we need to know who commited when svn history is openned.
When I said "it is slow to save a job" : my computer freezes 6 seconds each time I save a job. (I have a P4 2.8Ghz with 2go ram)
Maybe you should not consider the TIS SVN repository as a coding repository (where developers directly perform commits and updates) but as a backend for TIS sharing repository. I don't think we can expect the same readibility than a usual coding repository (even if we've tried to make things as readable as possible, it's not a "black box").

--> We are going to create a coding SVN repository. The real repository will be updated manually with Tortoise.

I have an other question, why can't we synchronize directly the Talend workspace with TortoiseSVN ?
I have tried to create a project in a local repository, then I synchronized the project directory with our SVN repository with tortoise. And I opened the project with Talend and made some changes.
When I do that, there are errors which appears in the local workspace. (cf. picture http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dftmvwgt_6f7rdr7zv )
And it becomes impossible to commit changes.
Thank you,
Jean-Marie
Employee

When I said "it is slow to save a job" : my computer freezes 6 seconds each time I save a job. (I have a P4 2.8Ghz with 2go ram)

If it freezes your computer, it may mean your CPU is fully occupied (so it's not really related to the SVN backend). Can you report a bug in our bugtracker, we will investigate.
I have an other question, why can't we synchronize directly the Talend workspace with TortoiseSVN ?

Because some files won't support the "Copy-Modify-Merge" default versioning model in Subversion, like talend.project. This is the "added value" bring by Talend Integration Suite shared repository.
One Star

Hi everybody
I find it really interesting, having somebody telling us a little bit about his experience (and problems) encountered with SVN.
My question: Has the actual version of SVN integration in TIS 3.0.4 the same status as the last discussion entry?
Is there any user manual (besides the installation manual) where SVN integration is described ?
cheers
Benjamin
btw: I still do not understand why Talend doesn't want the commonly used team share features from eclipse with user controlled commit, comments etc. if this would be a basis for the business model, i find it strange.
One Star

Hi all - Talend team and ChiefsXX
Please, could anyone explain me in a few words the advantage of the SVN repository over the recently one-and-only available remote-team repository based on MySQL?
We need a professional versioning , where I can go back to any tag, open a branch and do hotfixes on versions. All this would be easily available in Eclipse either as CVS or as SVN to mention only two. Why must we all go back in development standard to the '80. I simply don't get the point.
I have worked 15 Minutes with Talend-SVN, got 49 revisions and have no clue, where to switch back to one of the prior states. My local history has 7 entries.
Is that the future and vision of Talend ?
Benjamin
Employee

Hello dobprofi,
My question: Has the actual version of SVN integration in TIS 3.0.4 the same status as the last discussion entry?

Yes. We introduce no new features on a stable branch and the next stable branch (3.1) is not available yet. As we don't consider the different points discussed here as bugs, nothing has changed.
Is there any user manual (besides the installation manual) where SVN integration is described ?

Everything that must be documented (ie the installation and configuration when adding a project) is documented.
I still do not understand why Talend doesn't want the commonly used team share features from eclipse with user controlled commit, comments etc.

Subversion works at file level while TIS "understands" a project as a whole. With TIS we have a logical view of items, while Subversion only sees files, with no dependency between them.
Another reason is that we don't want to add "Subversion mecanisms understanding" as a prerequisite to TIS use.

Please consider the SVN implementation you see in TIS 3.0 as a first step. TIS 3.1 will include some features asked by jyaime. Step by step, we integrate SVN as best as possible :-) With TIS 3.1, new features related to SVN are:
And I'm currently working on a way to monitor Subversion repository activity (with Trac maybe).
I have worked 15 Minutes with Talend-SVN, got 49 revisions and have no clue, where to switch back to one of the prior states. My local history has 7 entries.

We agree that TIS generates many (certainly too many) revisions in the SVN repository. With TIS 3.1, even with the "automatic mode", we've reduced the number of commits.
We need a professional versioning , where I can go back to any tag, open a branch and do hotfixes on versions.

That's a good idea, can you please create a feature request in the bugtracker?
Please, could anyone explain me in a few words the advantage of the SVN repository over the recently one-and-only available remote-team repository based on MySQL?

faster (much faster), all actions in history (that we will take into account in the future)
One Star

Hello plegall
Thank You for the answers on my different questions. I get the picture much clearer now. I think, the questions are of commmon interest, so other users will certainly profit from the topic discussion.
The evolution in the field of project (job) version-management is of paramount importance and I hope that in the future a CVS adaptation will be available.
Cheers
Benjamin