Five Stars

Sqoop vs Hive in Talend

Hi All,

I am slightly confused between Sqoop and Hive when considering the saving of Structured data in HDFS. 

Which is the best component to choose from Sqoop or Hive while saving the structured data in HDFS and Why.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eight Stars

Re: Sqoop vs Hive in Talend

Hello,

Sqoop is used to import/export data from RDBMS to HDFS and Hive is a SQL layer abstraction on top of Hadoop. The purpose of these tools is different. 

You can use Sqoop for importing data into HDFS and then use Hive for querying. 

Regards

Lojdr

5 REPLIES
Eight Stars

Hello,

Sqoop is used to import/export data from RDBMS to HDFS and Hive is a SQL layer abstraction on top of Hadoop. The purpose of these tools is different. 

You can use Sqoop for importing data into HDFS and then use Hive for querying. 

Regards

Lojdr

Five Stars

Thank you. 

When it comes to the saving the data (Structured) in HDFS, then it can be done through HIVE as well as through Sqoop. 

Which component shall we use to store the structured data in HDFS. 

Eight Stars

ShahabZaidi wrote:

Which component shall we use to store the structured data in HDFS. 

It depends on your needs and preferences. You can use any RDBMS. It is perfect storage for structured data. No need to have both structured and unstructured data in HDFS, but there are several tools... Kudu, Parquet, HBase... All designed for analytics workload. If you need OLTP workload, I would prefer RDBMs.

Regards

Lojdr

Five Stars

I recently faced this question in a certification that which component is the best to save the structured data in HDFS, I understand that it could be possible through Hive as well as through Sqoop, but only 1 option needs to be chosen. 

Eight Stars

Sqoop.

My opinion.