One Star

Sqoop and TOS_BD_5.1.1

I am having problems getting Sqoop to work with 5.1.1. Here are the steps I have done to configure Sqoop.
1) Created a SQOOP_HOME variable in my .bash_profile that points to the install dir of Sqoop.
2) Created PATH to point to SQOOP_HOME/bin
3) When I run sqoop from the unix shell I get into sqoop and I am able to run commands.
In TOS_BD
1) Drag tSqoopImport_1 onto the design surface.
2) Modify its settings
3) Click on Run
4) Get the following error:
Exception in component tSqoopImport_1
java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "sqoop": error=2, No such file or directory
Any help would be great. I am for sure this is a config issue. Hopefully someone can help.
Thanks

• Big Data
13 REPLIES
Employee

Re: Sqoop and TOS_BD_5.1.1

Hi
See other posts on the same topic. "Sqoop" must be installed separately and made available in your PATH.
Ciaran
One Star

Thanks for the response. I have done a search and I see one other post that is relevant but it does not give a clear answer. As stated in my original question sqoop is available in my PATH. I am still not able to get this to work. I have installed it separately as you have stated.
.bash_profile
export SQOOP_HOME=~/dev/sqoop
export PATH=$PATH:$SQOOP_HOME/bin
Can you please be more specific?
thanks
One Star

Same problem here. Can anyone provide a solution for this problem?
Employee

Hi all,
It works like a charm for me.
Is the Talend studio installed on the same host than sqoop?
Rémy.
One Star

Thanks rdubois,
Yes, Talend Big Data studio is installed on the same machine sqoop is.
Can you post how you set up your PATH and SQOOP_HOME variables? Or did you even have to do this?
Thanks
Employee

Hi,
I just have specified my path exactly like you did above. That's why I was interested to know if you execute your talend job on the same host than the sqoop server.
Rémy.
One Star

Yes this is all done on the same machine. Its actually my Mac book. Were you able to get it to work?
Employee

You might want to check that your PATH variable is set correctly.

1. Create a job with a tJavaFlex component
2. Add the following code to "Main code" section in the component properties:
System.out.print("Environment Variable are =>"+System.getenv("PATH"));
3. Run
Ciaran
One Star

I have been able to figure out a workaround for this.
I noticed when adding the code cdynes said to use, that none of MY env variables are there. I would just get the normal bin, sbin etc. So what I tried was to launch Talend from the command line. When I did that I was able to get sqoop to work. I guess I am missing something important about Mac's and env variables. Seems weird to me that I would have to launch it from the command line.
Anyways the next thing I am going to try is to use the tEnv control in the System palette and set it there to see if it works.
Hope this helps someone.
Thanks
One Star

Interesting. I'm glad it's working. It didn't dawn on me that .profile or .bash_profile would not be accessible when launching an app from the dock. But now that you found it, I realize that I had the analogous issue years ago when SQuirreL SQL was unhappy with the absence of JAVA_HOME. Launching from the command line was a workaround. But I settled on the following solution.
create this file: /Users/mdahlman/.MacOSX/environment.plist
give it this content:

http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

JAVA_HOME
/Library/Java/Home

After that I was fine from both the terminal and from the dock.
One Star

The file environment.plist is already available on my Mac and contains some "Talend stuff". I use Talend 5.2.1.
Does this mean that the current version already fixed this problem by creating this file?
One Star

Can you please be more specific?
Employee

Hi
Have you tried opening a terminal window, setting the PATH variable and running the Studio from within the terminal?
"sh -x Talend-5.2.0/studio/Talend-Studio-r92826-V5.2.0Beta/Talend-Studio-macosx-cocoa.app/Contents/MacOS/Talend-Studio-macosx-cocoa"
Ciaran