Three Stars

Splitting Comma delimited Column in multiple columns. The index of the element in the string has to be the column number.

Hello Everyone,

I have started to work with Talend around two-three weeks ago and I have encountered a small issue that I can't really overcome. I have a column in an Excel file which looks like: "Word1, Word2, Word3" which I want to split up in Talend in three column. All nice and good here, very easy. But sometimes the column data could look like this: "Word1, Word3" or "Word2, Word3" and I have not found a way to put those values in the right column.

Input:

|Word_Input                 |

|Word1, Word2, Word3|

|Word2                         |

|Word2, Word3             |

|Word1, Word3             |

|Word3                          |

Desired Output:

Column1|Column2|Column3

Word1    |Word2    |Word3

"blank"    |Word2    |"blank"

"blank"    |Word2    |Word3

Word1     |"blank"   |Word3

"blank"     |"blank"   |Word3

Actual Output:

Column1|Column2|Column3

Word1    |Word2    |Word3

Word2    |"blank"    |"blank"

Word2    |Word3     |"blank"

Word1    |Word3     |"blank"   

Word3    |"blank"     |"blank"

And so, my question is that if this can be achieved with Talend functions( as I definitely could not achieve what I wanted by myself)  or should I go all Raw Java coding into this ?

Thank you for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Twelve Stars

Re: Splitting Comma delimited Column in multiple columns. The index of the element in the string has to be the column number.

@LoA02,are you looking for the below output?Untitled.pngUntitled.png

Manohar B
2 REPLIES
Twelve Stars

Re: Splitting Comma delimited Column in multiple columns. The index of the element in the string has to be the column number.

@LoA02,are you looking for the below output?Untitled.pngUntitled.png

Manohar B
Three Stars

Hello and thank you for the solution. It works perfect with the "tFixedFlowInput" but when I am trying to use it with the "tInput_File_InputExcel" it gives me a strange error which I could not debug still. I am working into that now. Thank you again for the solution, really works like a charm.

EDIT: I have solved the error. Everything works like a charm. Thanks a lot for the solution, never knew that there is a "contains" around there. 

Best regards, Alex.