Set Up and Use of Studio and Tac with Git in Talend 6.4

Six Stars

Set Up and Use of Studio and Tac with Git in Talend 6.4

Hello

I'm a bit confused by how this is expected to be set up.

There seems to be the option to add Git username/password credentials in 3(!) different places in the TAC:

1) The Main "Configuration" page.

2) Against each user.

3) Against each project

This seems a bit confusing.

We want to use a different git repository for each project so it would be good to know how that fits in with the above options too?

A) Ideally we want each user to have different git credentials. do we just add git credentials against each user in the TAC and ignore the other 2 options? Or does some generic tac-git user go in option 1 and 2?

b) We would like to avoid storing user git passwords in the TAC and I found this:

https://community.talend.com/t5/Architecture-Best-Practices-and/Connecting-Talend-with-Git-SSH/ta-p/...

However this doesn't seem to make complete sense as the git user is added at the project level and also shows the password filled in. Also, If using SSH keys, how do you get the Studio to read/use them?

Hope some one can help 

best wishes

Accepted Solutions
Employee

Re: Set Up and Use of Studio and Tac with Git in Talend 6.4

1) The Main Configuration Page in TAC

• The credentials here are just stored so that they can be used to create your project without prompting you for a Git username and password.  You should use something like a Git "service account".  An account that is used for automation, and not by a person for daily tasks.

2) The Git Credential in the TAC Project

• When you create a project, you can either just give a label, and let TAC create the project by appending the label to the Git URL you gave in the Main Configuration page (together with credentials), or you can override everything in advanced settings.  If you override everything, you can setup each project to be in a different Git repository with different credentials.  Every access related to the project is done using the details  (URL and Credentials) stored in the TAC Project.  Again, at the project level, it should be like a Git "Service Account", and not your personal account.  It can be a Git account you create for all Talend products, and use the same account in the Main Configuration page and the Project configuration for each project.

3) The Git Credentials in the TAC User

• You can collaborate on a TAC project with multiple users. Each user should have their own Git credentials.  This is stored in their User account in TAC.  Hence, when they open a project and do operations on the project, all the operations and tasks are linked to their TAC and Git credentials.  If you are using SSH, you have additional setup to do to get the studio to login.

All Replies
Employee

1) The Main Configuration Page in TAC

• The credentials here are just stored so that they can be used to create your project without prompting you for a Git username and password.  You should use something like a Git "service account".  An account that is used for automation, and not by a person for daily tasks.

2) The Git Credential in the TAC Project

• When you create a project, you can either just give a label, and let TAC create the project by appending the label to the Git URL you gave in the Main Configuration page (together with credentials), or you can override everything in advanced settings.  If you override everything, you can setup each project to be in a different Git repository with different credentials.  Every access related to the project is done using the details  (URL and Credentials) stored in the TAC Project.  Again, at the project level, it should be like a Git "Service Account", and not your personal account.  It can be a Git account you create for all Talend products, and use the same account in the Main Configuration page and the Project configuration for each project.

3) The Git Credentials in the TAC User

• You can collaborate on a TAC project with multiple users. Each user should have their own Git credentials.  This is stored in their User account in TAC.  Hence, when they open a project and do operations on the project, all the operations and tasks are linked to their TAC and Git credentials.  If you are using SSH, you have additional setup to do to get the studio to login.
Six Stars

Hi

Thanks very much for that.

Okay that makes sense - I hadn't realised that the project advanced settings were optional...

Re "If you are using SSH, you have additional setup to do to get the studio to login." - I'm having trouble doing this - Is there any guide to this other than the one I mentioned?

I'm unsure how to tell the studio running on my machine to use the ssh key I've created and added to git...... 

The private key is on my machine - how does the studio or tac know about it....

On trying to set up a project level git config, using the advanced settings, and providing my git username (but no password) with the ssh git@url, I get

Save failed: org.talend.exception.BusinessException: git@********/Test.git: UnknownHostKey: [our git host]. RSA key fingerprint is [*********************] -- For more information see your log file

And the fingerprint is different to the one on my saved public key in git..