One Star

Selectively running a subjob from a set of subjobs in a job

Hi ,
Please let me know if there is a way to selectively run a subjob from a set of subjobs in a job. Please refer to the attached image . This contains a set of subjobs in an execution precedence.

For testing purpose, i wish to selectively run a subjob from the set of subjobs in it. The subjob highlighted in red is the subjob i wish to execute.
Please let me know how to achieve this in Talend if its possible.
Thank You
11 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Selectively running a subjob from a set of subjobs in a job

Hi
If I understand your request correctly, you want the subjob to run only when a condition is met. If so, you can use runIf connector, and set the condition. The job design is as below:
tOracleInput--main--tMysqlOutput--runIf--another subjob
|
onsubjobok
|
another subjob
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Hi Shong,
Thanks for the quick response.
The image in the attached file displays the flow when the entire job is executed. The condition for the subjob execution is as depicted in the image.

For testing purpose, i wish to selectively run the subjob marked in red to be run, instead of running all the subjobs with the execution condition between them.(i.e) Just to test , i want to selectively run the marked sub job without making any change to the subjobs execution conditions in the job.
Please let me know if this is possible.
Hope i am clear in explaining my request.Kindly let me know if you need any update.
Thank You
Seventeen Stars

You have probably not understood what shong has suggested. The run-if trigger is the key to your solution.
In the run-if trigger you can define the condition under a particular subjob should called.
I do this in a data ware house environment every day. E.g. I select if a table is empty and with run-if I choose between a subjob for a initial load and a subjob for the incremental load.
One Star

Hi ,
First, Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, the 'RunIf' trigger will execute the sub job only when a condition is met.
But, on a stand alone basis,I wish to run the sub-job alone instead of running the entire job .
My request is that, without making any change to the job flow as depicted in the image, i wish to selectively run the sub-job without executing other sub-jobs in the job.
Please let me know on any update needed.
Thank You
Community Manager

Hi
For testing purpose, you can deactivate other subjobs which you don't want them to run. To do so, right click on the first component of the subjob, and select Deactivate current subjob option to deactivate the subjob, select active current job option if you want to active it again.
Is this the way you are looking for?
Shong
One Star

Hi Shong,
Yes that comes very near to my request, but this process edits the job and needs to be saved once , also the entire job needs to be run. Hence i wished to know if there was a way to selectively run a sub-job, without making any changes in the job design.
Thank You
Community Manager

Hi
I think this request can be a new feature, it is impossible to run a selected subjob now, maybe we can add an option called 'run current subjob' in the menu as the 'Deactivate current subjob' option. Can you please report a new feature in our bugtracker?
Shong
One Star

Hi Shong,
Thank you very much for a quick confirmation on this. Sure, let me create a new request in bugtracker with reference to this thread here.
Thank You
One Star

Hi Shong,
FYI, i have created a new feature request. Please refer to the below link for the same
https://jira.talendforge.org/browse/TDI-28572
Thank You
Seventeen Stars

Why you do not put your middle subjob into it own job? This would enables you to run it alone or in the context of another job. You would call the new job in your current job with a tRunJob component.
One Star

Hi,
Yes, that's true when two jobs are to be executed in tandem based on some execution order.The condition in my case is that normally the entire job runs as depicted in the attached file. I wish to run a selected sub-job of my choice in the job for unit testing purposes or rarely i wish to rerun a specific sub-job without running other jobs and making any change to the job.
Hence the ability to execute a sub-job within a job without making any change to the job would suit better.Anyways, let me try as per your advice and update you on its usage .
Thank You