Salesforce Metadata Wizard suggested improvements

One Star

Salesforce Metadata Wizard suggested improvements

Like the new capabilities but I have a few suggestions:
1) In Step 2 Change Module Name to line up with Salesforce naming convention. In this case it should be labeled as "Standard Objects"
2)The "Fetch Module List" should be labeled as "Custom Objects List"
3) The "Custom Module" drop down should be labeled "Custom Object"
4) Would like to see Talend take advantage of the known relationships between salesforce standard objects to allow multiple standard objects to be selected by the wizard. This will prevent having to recreate these already defined inter object joins using TMAP later.
5) Would like to have the ability to select more than one Custom Object
6) Prevent the automatic preview of data in Step 3 so that large queries do not take a long time.
7) Use Salesforce SOQL queries to gather actual schema from salesforce instead of guessing what it is from the data. This should be 100% accurate and much less resource intensive.
Employee

Re: Salesforce Metadata Wizard suggested improvements

Hi vcrocca,
Thank you very much for your feedback. Could you explain more on item #4. Are there available relationships that we could pull through SOQL?
Can you please explain if there are any built-in API in salesforce to do this? or I refering to make inner-joins on the known objects?
On #6, I think we use the queryAll salesforce method to retreive the preview. I believe changing this to use the QueryMore would be sufficient.
Although the automatic preview is a feature in all the metadata wizards. So we cannot disable this on the salesforce side just for the fact of consistency.
About #7, the guess schema feature also is within all of our database and input components. more of a legacy feature. I think this is related to number #6. and we should be able to apply the same solution. Although if one needs more accurate guess, they need to use the wizard.
One Star

On Item number 4 what I am referring to is the ability to query child information from a parent object. For example the Account Standard object has child relationships with certain fields in the Contact Object. We should be able to query those objects using Salesforce Relationship Queries. This leverages the existing relationships in Salesforce and prevents having to do the joins in TMAP later. See the API for details on Relationship Queries.
On 7 I was referring to actually querying the schema from the API itself using Describe calls. The schema can be 100% accurately retrieved from the API Metadata.
Highlighted
Employee

Thank you on #6. I think we should also move this item as a feature request to the bugtracker. Unfortunately, this is way to late to be added to the next release of 3.1. But definitely nice to be considered in the next release. I already included this on the bugtracker to be considered for the next release:
http://www.talendforge.org/bugs/view.php?id=6993
Also can you please include the link to the salesforce API document on this bugtraker? Thanks you!

#7) I believe the Salesforce Metadata wizard uses the describe APIs. A client should be able to use the Wizard instead of the Quess Schema button. The Guess schema button is our backup/legacy if nothing else works. And I think we should keep it as is.
#5) looks like this is related to an existing bugtracker item which is fixed in 3.1RC2. Please download RC2 and test the issue:
http://www.talendforge.org/bugs/view.php?id=6694
(also in 3.1 we have added a number of features that might be very interesting to you)
One Star

API URL has been added
Related to #5 I looked at the updated code and this is not what I am looking for. Basically I am looking to be able to query multiple custom objects at the same time. Again this is what salesforce calls a Relationship Query.
You can read about this in the API document.
http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/index.htm
One Star

Hello,
The basic functionality of relationship between object is still not there.
4) Would like to see Talend take advantage of the known relationships between salesforce standard objects to allow multiple standard objects to be selected by the wizard. This will prevent having to recreate these already defined inter object joins using TMAP later.

On Item number 4 what I am referring to is the ability to query child information from a parent object. For example the Account Standard object has child relationships with certain fields in the Contact Object. We should be able to query those objects using Salesforce Relationship Queries. This leverages the existing relationships in Salesforce and prevents having to do the joins in TMAP later. See the API for details on Relationship Queries.

how to upsert the record which contain ExternalId of referencekey column.
like Master-Detail(Account) field in Transaction object.
Thank you,
Nitin Munjani
Four Stars

Hello,
The basic functionality of relationship between object is still not there.

On Item number 4 what I am referring to is the ability to query child information from a parent object. For example  the Account Standard object has child relationships with certain fields in the Contact Object. We should be able to query those objects using Salesforce Relationship Queries. This leverages the existing relationships in Salesforce and prevents having to do the joins in TMAP later. See the API for details on Relationship Queries.

how to upsert the record which contain ExternalId of referencekey column.
like Master-Detail(Account) field in Transaction object.
Thank you,
Nitin Munjani
I am not completly sure, but Informatica is able to upsert/insert based on an exteranl id of a parent object.