Two Stars

SQL Server Connection Stops Working

Hello,

I have an odd situation that just arose. I have been successfully using TOS DI to connect to a SQL Server 2014 instance for over a year now. Suddenly, however, I am getting a connection error within the studio when trying to use this connection. I checked with IT and no changes have been made to the server. I am able to use other programs on the same computer that TOS is installed on to connect to the DB (such as HeidiSQL) without issue. Furthermore, standalone jobs that I have built using this same TOS installation and SQL Server connection still run without issue (also on the same machine as the TOS installation).

Version: 6.4.1

Connection Type: General JDBC

Driver jar: sqljdbc42.jar

Here is a screenshot of the connection parameters:

TOS_DI1.jpg

And here is the result after clicking Check:

Connection failure. You must change the Database Settings.
  java.lang.RuntimeException: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The connection to the host PRODSQL1, named instance \prodsql1 failed. Error: "java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out". Verify the server and instance names and check that no firewall is blocking UDP traffic to port 1434.  For SQL Server 2005 or later, verify that the SQL Server Browser Service is running on the host.
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.JDBCDriverLoader.getConnection(JDBCDriverLoader.java:195)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataUtils.connect(ExtractMetaDataUtils.java:1047)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.testConnection(ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.java:315)
      at org.talend.metadata.managment.repository.ManagerConnection.check(ManagerConnection.java:289)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.connection.database.DatabaseForm$62.runWithCancel(DatabaseForm.java:3983)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.connection.database.DatabaseForm$62.runWithCancel(DatabaseForm.java:1)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.dialog.AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel$1.runnableWithCancel(AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel.java:77)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.dialog.AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel$ARunnableWithProgressCancel$1.call(AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel.java:161)
      at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
  Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The connection to the host PRODSQL1, named instance \prodsql1 failed. Error: "java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out". Verify the server and instance names and check that no firewall is blocking UDP traffic to port 1434.  For SQL Server 2005 or later, verify that the SQL Server Browser Service is running on the host.
      at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDriverError(SQLServerException.java:191)
      at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.getInstancePort(SQLServerConnection.java:5011)
      at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.primaryPermissionCheck(SQLServerConnection.java:1697)
      at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.login(SQLServerConnection.java:1434)
      at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connectInternal(SQLServerConnection.java:1285)
      at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.connect(SQLServerConnection.java:700)
      at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver.connect(SQLServerDriver.java:1131)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.DriverShim.connect(DriverShim.java:41)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.JDBCDriverLoader.getConnection(JDBCDriverLoader.java:186)
      ... 9 more

Again, what is odd is that the standalone jobs are running without any issue and able to connect to the DB.

Any ideas?

1 REPLY
Seven Stars

Re: SQL Server Connection Stops Working

Hello,

"I checked with IT and no changes have been made to the server. " -  Don't believe them. :-)

Double check the configuration of parameters for that user and instance. Again go through the recommendations mentioned in the error:

The connection to the host PRODSQL1, named instance \prodsql1 failed. Error: "java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Receive timed out". Verify the server and instance names and check that no firewall is blocking UDP traffic to port 1434.  For SQL Server 2005 or later, verify that the SQL Server Browser Service is running on the host.

Regards

Lojdr