Seven Stars

Runtime Logging of Talend jobs

What all are the different ways to talend jobs running time execution details? For now , I approach is like below:

java.io.File file = new java.io.File(“C:/temp/myTalendLog.txt”);

java.io.PrintStream ps = new java.io.PrintStream(new java.io.FileOutputStream(file));

System.setOut(ps);

This approach , doesn't address about the insert queries generated in the database output components. What i am looking for this, logging in traditional ETL tools like Informatica, Datastage.?

In these ETL tools ,query insert statement generated the running is logged.

Informatica has log tracing options such as

NORMAL,

VERBOSE INITIALIZATION,

VERBOSE DATA.

How to achieve the detailed logging in Talend Job Executions.. ?

3 REPLIES
Twelve Stars

Re: Runtime Logging of Talend jobs

I am assuming that you are using the Open Studio. If not, and you are running using the Talend Administration Center, you will find that the logs stored there will help. Things like logging are made a bit easier with the purchased product. However, there is nothing you cannot do with the Open Source product if you put the effort in. For example, you have access to all of the queries that you are firing using the globalMap. If you know Java, take a look at the code tab and see what you can find. The globalMap is used a lot and holds a treasure trove of information about jobs that can be very useful.

As an example, if you have a DB component called tMSSqlInput_1, you can access its query via ....

((String)globalMap.get("tMSSqlInput_1_QUERY"))
Rilhia Solutions
Seven Stars

Thanks.

As you mentioned , so in the enterprise edition we can see all the logs (console messages / errors). 

Twelve Stars

Yes. Obviously the interface takes a while to get used to (I came from Informatica a few years ago and it took me a while to get used to it), but all the information is there. 

Rilhia Solutions