One Star

Route vs Job

HI, I am relatively new to Talend. I come from Oracle Service bus and BPEL background. What is the difference between job and route? It seems that route will be part or subset of the job that you will typically create. Does that sound right?
-ap
3 REPLIES
One Star

Re: Route vs Job

Hi Ap,
I assume you talk about Talend ESB and its two perspectives.
Jobs - they are Talend Integration jobs - very strong at data integration, migration, etc. Every component and row has defined rigid row dat structure (row colums), so you will get good structure and consistency check. Since last versions its much easier to expose the jobs as web services.
Mediation Routes - consider them as Camel routes modeled by Talend Open Studio (you rather get known with Apache Camel before spending lot of time with them). The routes are more flexible - can have more dynamic payload, they are more customizable. But if you are not very profficient in Camel, you can spend much more time with development, configuration and debugging then on Talend jobs.
Have fun
Gabriel
One Star

Thanks for the response.
Does that mean, jobs and mediation routes are 2 different ways to implement the same use case and which one we select is based on flexibility and knowledge of camel?
One Star

Hi,
well - they (jobs and routes) are not entirely overlapping, each approach has its pros and cons. For jobs - there are already many pre-made configurable components, so for most of use cases you can be happy with them. I advice you to play / try it and you will see by yourself.
Gabriel