Route and container configuration, REST APIs, HTTPS, deployment, ...

Six Stars

Route and container configuration, REST APIs, HTTPS, deployment, ...

Hello everyone !

I have a Business Intelligence background. I have experience with Talend Data Integration (even if we always have to learn, especially concerning data integration....), lately I learn on my own how to use Talend Data Quality, and then lately Talend for ESB.

My goal with ESB was to be able to create REST API.

I am now able to do so and deploy the jar in Apache Karaf container. I still have several questions :

1) If I have to work in a startup, I'll deploy my REST API this way :

Copy the Runtime_ESBSE folder of Talend ESB's into the server (I think it's the best way instead of downloading a unconfigured version of Karaf...? Karaf from Runtime_ESBSE is already configured for Talend ESB use). Put the jar on it.

Is it enough or would I have to copy the Studio folder too ?

2) As I am from Data Integration, I don't really understand the notion of Route in ESB, especially the "components", named cSomething. I just read that Route is used to transport short messages. I don't think I'll need to use route as I just want to be able to implement REST APIs.

3) I don't really know Apache Karaf but it's quite easy to deploy a REST API. Just put the jar un the deploy folder and it's done and activated. I know Docker a bit. Which is the best ? Is there a way to "transform" the Karaf container into a Docker one ? 

Is there a way to specifically manage Karaf container, to use it on several machines, clustering, etc. ? (Just to know, I'll not have to do it I think... I think it's a system admin. job)

4) What about using HTTPS with REST APIs ?
What about tokens with REST APIs ?
What about OAUTH with REST APIs ?

Are there tutorials to use them ?

5) What about REST API documentation ? I heard of Swagger. Is there a way to more easily generate api documentation from Talend ?

I heard of Restlet studio to create Swagger doc. Is it a nice tool ?

https://studio.restlet.com/

Thank you in advance for your answers ! Smiley Happy

Eight Stars

Re: Route and container configuration, REST APIs, HTTPS, deployment, ...

1) > Copy the Runtime_ESBSE folder of Talend ESB's into the server (I think it's the best way instead of downloading a unconfigured version of Karaf...? Karaf from Runtime_ESBSE is already configured for Talend ESB use).

Yes

> Put the jar on it.

Not the jar but the kar (a zip containing jar and pom informations)

> Is it enough or would I have to copy the Studio folder too ?

No need for the Studio

> 2) As I am from Data Integration, I don't really understand the notion of Route in ESB, especially the "components", named cSomething. I just read that Route is used to transport short messages. I don't think I'll need to use route as I just want to be able to implement REST APIs.

"REST Apis" is just some technics. Your program also have to perform some business logic too, to respond to the REST calls. Thoses components allow you to do so. 

> 3) I don't really know Apache Karaf but it's quite easy to deploy a REST API. Just put the jar un the deploy folder and it's done and activated. I know Docker a bit. Which is the best ? Is there a way to "transform" the Karaf container into a Docker one ? 

Karaf and Docker are 2 different things. Karaf is a java OSGI runtime. Docker is a general container. You can set up Docker to contain some Karaf instances. 

4) and 5) : I don't know

Six Stars

Thank you for your answers ! Smiley Happy

Do you know where I can find examples, use cases for Routes in Talend ESB.... ?

Eight Stars

I started with the seeded use cases in the Talend release, and with tutos found on internet. And on Talendforge too.

Cloud Free Trial

Try Talend Cloud free for 30 days.

Tutorial

Introduction to Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Definitive Guide to Data Integration

Practical steps to developing your data integration strategy.

Definitive Guide to Data Quality

Create systems and workflow to manage clean data ingestion and data transformation.