Four Stars

Reusable components in Talend

Hi Team,

Iam new to Talend. Iam comparing with informatica and want to know more on reusable objects in Talend.

1. My scenario is like i want to populate audit columns in all the tables which I load using talend.

ex: load_dt,insert_dt,update_dt,rec_stat,inserted_by etc.

These values are common to all the jobs and all the tables.

so can I create once and reuse these values in all the jobs.

Like we have expression transformation in informatica, where we can make it reusable and use the same across all the mappings.

2. Also can we make a component reusable in Talend, like in informatica we have option to make a transformation as reusable.

3. Do we have any list of components which are reusable.

Looking for your replies and inputs..

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Martha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Twelve Stars

Re: Reusable components in Talend

Yes and yes.....but not in the way you are thinking. This can be achieved by creating jobs whose sole purpose is to achieve those reusable pieces of functionality. This is the heavy duty method of doing this, but allow complex patterns to be reused. Think of it as creating a reusable API in Java. Another way of achieving this (a little bit more lightweight) is to use joblets (only available in the Enterprise edition). These are similar to jobs, but more lightweight and cannot run on their own. You also have the ability to use code routines (your own Java classes) if you are a bit more technical. But if you really want to tailor some functionality to your needs and componentize this, you can also write your Talend components. This is a bit harder.

As an ex Informatica developer I can say that there isn't anything you can do in Informatica (up to v8, that I know) that cannot be done in Talend. It might be done in a different way, but will be possible. There is however a lot you can do with Talend which is far easier to implement than it would be in Informatica. The very fact that Talend is a Java code generation tool means that EVERY Java API is open to be used with Talend really easily. 

Rilhia Solutions
2 REPLIES
Twelve Stars

Yes and yes.....but not in the way you are thinking. This can be achieved by creating jobs whose sole purpose is to achieve those reusable pieces of functionality. This is the heavy duty method of doing this, but allow complex patterns to be reused. Think of it as creating a reusable API in Java. Another way of achieving this (a little bit more lightweight) is to use joblets (only available in the Enterprise edition). These are similar to jobs, but more lightweight and cannot run on their own. You also have the ability to use code routines (your own Java classes) if you are a bit more technical. But if you really want to tailor some functionality to your needs and componentize this, you can also write your Talend components. This is a bit harder.

As an ex Informatica developer I can say that there isn't anything you can do in Informatica (up to v8, that I know) that cannot be done in Talend. It might be done in a different way, but will be possible. There is however a lot you can do with Talend which is far easier to implement than it would be in Informatica. The very fact that Talend is a Java code generation tool means that EVERY Java API is open to be used with Talend really easily. 

Rilhia Solutions
Four Stars

Thanks Sir for the detailed explanation.

Will try to do some hands on and get back if any issues.

Thanks again
Martha