One Star

Retrieving excel file (XLS) over HTTP on different platforms

Hi All,
I have a webserver that has 3 excel files and 2 csv files. For my current job, I need to download one of the excel files to process it. Ideally I'd like to prompt for the file name but I am currently using a global variable.
The other problem is that this job must be run in two environments: once on a linux machine and once on windows.
The reason this is an issue is that normally I would setup a tFileFetch to download the excel locally but then the path is constrained to the machine I built it on. Is there a working directory talend can use regardless of where it's run? How can I setup talend to pull a csv/xls from a http URL and process it regardless of what platform is run on?
Thank you so much for the assistance.
3 REPLIES
One Star

Re: Retrieving excel file (XLS) over HTTP on different platforms

Hi, I was able to figure it out by myself.
For those who find this later on: I created a tFileFetch object pointing to the file and checked the option "Use cache to save the resources"
from there I did "onSubJobOK" to a tFileInputExcel
for the file path in the tFileInputExcel I put: ((java.io.InputStream)globalMap.get("tFileFetch_1_INPUT_STREAM"))
The file path step above is the key to the whole thing.
Hope this helps someone
One Star

I'm not totally sure about your problem, but perhaps it is helpful to use contexts, where you can define a single context.FILELOC in the jobs as path. For Windows, this context.FILELOC may be defined as the path C:/TEMP/JOBFILES/ and in a UNIX/Linux environment: opt/JOBFILES/ as path (just as an example). When exporting the job to your Windows machines, you could select the WINDOWS context, so the files will be stored in the C:\TEMP\JOBFILES directory. When exporting it to the UNIX/Linux machines, you could select the UNIX context, so the files will be stored in the /OPT/JOBFILES directory.
Defining the contexts can be done in the Contexts tab --> Values as table --> Configure Contexts... (small icon)
One Star

Hi joesmith123,
I am trying to get also xls from a website and I saw you did also some simular work. I have no idea how to begin with, could you be so kind and help me with that?
Best regards
Chris