Seven Stars

RestFul Service using Open Studio for Data Integration

Hi,

I am new to Talend. We are planning to integrate our Data Base with Sales Force. For this integration we are thinking of using Talend.

As per my understanding so far we can prepare RESTFUL services as well as Web Services using Talend. Please confirm.

Also if above assumption is correct then can we pass arguments to that RESTFUL service and also fetch response from that RESTFUL service. Please confirm.

Here is my requirement :-

1. A contact gets registered in our data base. A contact could have various fields such as FirstName, LastName, Email, Phone number etc.
  2. On the back ground a window service runs after every 5 minutes. This window service picks the newly registered contact from data base using store procedure in SQL Server.
  3. What we are assuming here is that we could consume this RESTFUL service in our window service. Please confirm if this is possible. We are planning to pass this newly picked contact in to that RESTFUL service will add this newly picked contact in to sales force.
  4. If above assumption (mentioned in point c) is correct then is it possible to fetch response from Salesforce using this RESTFUL service and pass that response to the window service which is calling that RESTFUL service. This response should be the new ID of this contact which got created in to Salesforce. We could call this ID as SalesForceID of that contact.

Can you please share some urls/videos on you tube e.t.c. which could be helpful to me in my scenario.

Regards

Tarunjit Singh

5 REPLIES
Thirteen Stars TRF
Thirteen Stars

Re: RestFul Service using Open Studio for Data Integration

Hi,

For short, you cannot build a web service using Talend DI. You need to use Talend ESB this purpose.

However, on point 2 you are speaking about a scheduled task running each 5 minutes.

This can be a Talend DI job scheduled using a standard tool such as cron or Windows tasks manager.

For the rest of your questions, there is no problem with what you are expecting.

Hope this helps.

TRF
Seven Stars

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

I have setup Talend Open Studio for Data Integration. For creating RESTFUL service do I need to setup Talend ESB separately?

I believe ESB which is available in Palette section of Talend Open Studio for Data Integration is used for consuming RESTFUL service . Please confirm.

Can we create RESTFUL service separately say using Visual Studio .NET and consume it through Talend Open Studio for Data Integration? If this is not possible then do we need to create RESTFUL service separately using Talend ESB and then consume it in Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.

Can you please send me some urls mentioning how this is done?

Regards

Tarunjit Singh

Thirteen Stars TRF
Thirteen Stars

You need Talend ESB to expose services.

If you just have to consume services built on .Net, there is no problem.

You may also decide to use Studio for ESB to build standard ETL jobs (for data integration) without building any route or expose any service, but again Talend DI seems to be a good choice in your case (and can migrate later if needed).

TRF
Seven Stars

Hi,

Did you mean there is no need to setup Talend ESB if I have to consume RESTFUL service created on Visual Studio.Net? I can consume it directly from Talend Open Studio for Data Integration?

Talend ESB is used to create RESTFUL service?

Regards

Tarunjit Singh 

Thirteen Stars TRF
Thirteen Stars

You're right

TRF