Required character converter is not available.

One Star

Required character converter is not available.

Hi. I have created a connection to DB2 by going to Metadata/ DB Connections / Create Connection.
I added the JDBC jars and the connection parameters correctly. When I click "Check" to validate the connection, I get a failure with error code 4220. The full error is pasted below.
Any help on how to fix it?
Connection failure. You must change the Database Settings.
  com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.SqlException: Required character converter is not available. ERRORCODE=-4220, SQLSTATE=null
      at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.wc.a(wc.java:55)
      at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.wc.a(wc.java:119)
      at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.bc.a(bc.java:1758)
      at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.bc.n(bc.java:496)
      at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.bc.F(bc.java:1263)
      at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.jk.d(jk.java:939)
      at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.jk.getString(jk.java:917)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.checkSchemaConnection(ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.java:387)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.testConnection(ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.java:330)
      at org.talend.metadata.managment.repository.ManagerConnection.check(ManagerConnection.java:272)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.connection.database.DatabaseForm$31.runWithCancel(DatabaseForm.java:2674)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.connection.database.DatabaseForm$31.runWithCancel(DatabaseForm.java:1)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.dialog.AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel$1.runnableWithCancel(AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel.java:77)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.dialog.AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel$ARunnableWithProgressCancel$1.call(AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel.java:161)
      at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Accepted Solutions
Four Stars als
Four Stars

Re: Required character converter is not available.

Hallo,

just to summarize - I have updated Talend to the latest version. I have used the external modules approach to add my own latest DB2 drivers - now it works.

Thanks a lot,

Als

All Replies

Hi DaniM,
Can you connect to your DB2 successfully through client without using Talend tool?

Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Thank you for the response, Sabrina. I was able to fix this issue by importing a more recent version of te JDBC driver. It's working now.
One Star

Hi Sabrina,
I am getting below error while unloadind data from tDB2Input.
Exception in component tDB2Input_1

com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.SqlException: Caught java.io.CharConversionException. See attached Throwable for details. ERRORCODE=-4220, SQLSTATE=null

at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.fd.a(fd.java:663)

at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.fd.a(fd.java:60)

at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.fd.a(fd.java:112)

at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.ic.a(ic.java:2314)

at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.ic.p(ic.java:521)

at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.ic.N(ic.java:1525)

at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.nn.e(nn.java:1147)

at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.nn.getString(nn.java:1122)

at rpa_med.rpa_test_job_0_1.RPA_Test_Job.tDB2Input_1Process(RPA_Test_Job.java:6539)

at rpa_med.rpa_test_job_0_1.RPA_Test_Job.tDB2Connection_1Process(RPA_Test_Job.java:5292)

at rpa_med.rpa_test_job_0_1.RPA_Test_Job.tSystem_1Process(RPA_Test_Job.java:5140)

at rpa_med.rpa_test_job_0_1.RPA_Test_Job.tJava_3Process(RPA_Test_Job.java:4960)

at rpa_med.rpa_test_job_0_1.RPA_Test_Job.tJava_2Process(RPA_Test_Job.java:4848)

at rpa_med.rpa_test_job_0_1.RPA_Test_Job.runJobInTOS(RPA_Test_Job.java:8478)

at rpa_med.rpa_test_job_0_1.RPA_Test_Job.main(RPA_Test_Job.java:7253)

Caused by: java.nio.charset.MalformedInputException: Input length = 13099

at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.t.a(t.java:19)

at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.ic.a(ic.java:2310)

... 11 more

Caused by: sun.io.MalformedInputException

at sun.io.ByteToCharUTF8.convert(ByteToCharUTF8.java:167)

at com.ibm.db2.jcc.am.t.a(t.java:16)

... 12 more
Four Stars

Hi DaniM
Can you please set me the link for JDBC Driver class, I am also getting error
Connection failure. You must change the Database Settings.
  com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.SqlException: Required character converter is not available. ERRORCODE=-4220, SQLSTATE=null
      at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.wc.a(wc.java:55)
      at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.wc.a(wc.java:119)
      at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.bc.a(bc.java:1758)
      at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.bc.n(bc.java:496)
      at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.bc.F(bc.java:1263)
      at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.jk.d(jk.java:939)
      at com.ibm.db2.jcc.b.jk.getString(jk.java:917)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.checkSchemaConnection(ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.java:387)
      at org.talend.core.model.metadata.builder.database.ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.testConnection(ExtractMetaDataFromDataBase.java:330)
      at org.talend.metadata.managment.repository.ManagerConnection.check(ManagerConnection.java:272)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.connection.database.DatabaseForm$31.runWithCancel(DatabaseForm.java:2674)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.wizards.metadata.connection.database.DatabaseForm$31.runWithCancel(DatabaseForm.java:1)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.dialog.AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel$1.runnableWithCancel(AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel.java:77)
      at org.talend.repository.ui.dialog.AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel$ARunnableWithProgressCancel$1.call(AProgressMonitorDialogWithCancel.java:161)
      at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
      at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Thanks
Anil Kumar Burri
Four Stars

Hi
Looking for help on above post, I can able to retrieve database using input component but when I am trying to load using tDB2Ouput unable to load.
thanks
Anil Kumar Buri
Four Stars

Thank you
I can able to resolve this issue, by appliying relevant jar modules.
thanks
Anil Kumar Burri
Four Stars als
Four Stars

Hallo,

could you please share your solution - we have the same issue and not able to fix it.

Thanks a lot,

Als

Hello,

Could you please refer to this online document about:TalendHelpCenter:Installing external modules?

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Four Stars als
Four Stars

Hallo,

just to summarize - I have updated Talend to the latest version. I have used the external modules approach to add my own latest DB2 drivers - now it works.

Thanks a lot,

Als

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your solution on forum.

Best regards

Sabrina

--