Four Stars

Reading EBCDIC file

Hi All,

I am using BIG DATA Version 6.2.1

I tried to use tFileInputEBCDIC component to read EBCDIC file, which is not working.

Is this component deprecated?

If yes, Could you please let me know how can we work on EBCDIC file? 

• Big Data
5 REPLIES

Re: Reading EBCDIC file

Hi,

The EBCDIC components have been deprecated several version ago to be replaced by Talend Data Mapper.
The old components have been published on Talend Exchange Portal and are provided as is, without support from Talend for version 6.0+

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Four Stars

Thanks Sabrina,

I have gone through Data Mapper.

Could you please help me with any example on how an EBCDIC file can be read using Data Mapper.

1. How a field from EBCDIC file can be read.

2. EBCDIC file can have Packed or COMP-3 fields, so can we read those fields.

Regards,

Sanjay

Four Stars

Just to add some more clarity:

1. My Requirement is to read data from EBCDIC file.
  2. Perform Encryption using some components like tRest or using tSystem.
  3. Write into output file.

I am not sure how that would be done using Data Mapper

Hi,

Please refer to document about:https://help.talend.com/display/TalendDataMapperUserGuide63EN/17.+Mapping+COBOL.

Best regards

Sabrina

--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
Four Stars

Hi Sabrina,

I have gone through the document.

I am not sure what is the actual purpose of mapper. and whether the Structure created by mapper can be used in actual talend jobs.

I can create structure using COBOL importer, after that what should I do with that Structure. Maps can be used to map data from Input Structure to output Structure, but that does not provide me any capability to read the data and then use that data in any other component to perform any kind of transformation on data.