Read multiple Range data from excel in talend

One Star

Read multiple Range data from excel in talend

Hi
Can we extract specific range of cells from excel in talend like from below excel sheet i have two data's in single sheet which needs to be extracted and inserted into two different tables.
Community Manager

Re: Read multiple Range data from excel in talend

You can try tFileExcelSheetInput component, this is a cutomer component on talend exchange:
http://www.talendforge.org/exchange/index.php?eid=663&product=tos&action=view&nav=1,1,1
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

I have downloaded the component from exchange and have imported the component as per below link
http://www.talendforge.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=25721
but it is not showing in my pallette. i have closed and opened talend again but same thing.
can you suggest me on the same. i am using Talend Open Studio 5.1.1 r84309 version

Hi Aspirant,
Please see the talend official KB article on talend help center about Installing a custom component.
Best regards
Sabrina
--
Don't forget to give kudos when a reply is helpful and click Accept the solution when you think you're good with it.
One Star

Sabrina,
Thanks for the link now the components are available in my pallette.
Shong,
How can i read the named range cells like i have mentioned above. using tFileExcelSheetInput and tFileExcelWorkbookOpen components.
Can you help on the same.
Community Manager

Hi Aspirant
Can you capture a screenshot of your excel file and explain what data you want to extract?
Shong
----------------------------------------------------------
Talend | Data Agility for Modern Business
One Star

Shong,
I have uploaded a screen shot , in that excel i have two data's which are available at different range of cells in same sheet.
i have to extract the two data's and insert into two different tables.
I have also named the range for two data's lets say for fist data named range is 'A' and for 2nd 'B'
suggest me on the same.
Seventeen Stars

Your use case is terrible.
I would read the rows starting with the row 1.
Read without ignoring empty rows.
In a first tMap I would check about the word id and if you detect it set a particular boolean context var and use it to filter the next rows.
If you detect deptno, you can switch off the boolean context var and the flow should go to another flow.
tFileInputExcel -> tJavaRow (to detect the area and set bool context var) -> tMap (with 2 output flows and filter based on the bool context var).
This is a very weak input source and a better way is by far to talk to the author of this excel file to montivate use different tabs.
Seven Stars

Since the two blocks of data are going to different tables, why not just use two separate subjobs i.e. separate tFileInputExcel components with the appropriate starting points?
One Star

Jlolling,
Thanks for the reply, the same thing with a slight change i.e if the column name is numeric and when i am tring to use tFileExcelSheetInput and tFileExcelWorkbookOpen components , i am getting error as attached in new images,
Is it something like tFileExcelSheetInput does not support numeric column names or is there any alternative for this to achive.